Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use a router bit in a Drill Press?

Another important point to keep in mind whenever contemplating using the DP as a milling machine is that your drill chuck is attached to the quill by nothing more than the mild friction fit of a morse taper. It is intended mostly for longitudinal compression loads, not lateral or tension. Not so much a concern for the bearings, but your chuck and cutting tool can fall out spinning, without prior warning simply due to gravity, when lateral vibrations are present without enough axial compression. Best to ensure your drill chuck is as firmly seated in the morse taper as practical. Likely should retract the jaws fully into the chuck and use the press to apply solid axial pressure or give it a bump with a soft mallet to ensure tight seating of the drill chuck.

Do you have a router table? Piece of cake.

Years ago I bought a bit at a garage sale that was supposed to let you use your DP like a mill, but I never actually used it.

Yes, got a router table too. Not sure why i was thinking of doing it handheld (other than it is a 1/4 inch shank), but suppose the router table gives me the stability i need, and it already has the fence rather than having to make a jig . . . . just need to change the collett . . . .

Thank you to everyone for the input. It is very much appreciated. Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Not near enough rpm,
    My father has an old Delta/Rockwell variable speed unit that goes up to 10,000 (or maybe it's 12,000) rpm... I bet that would likely be fast enough for the occasional routing... especially for something like a keyhole slot that doesn't need to be perfect clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Patrick wants to use a keyhole bit. It's all or nothing.
    It most certainly is not, in fact it is highly recommended with that type of bit to run the slot in first with a straight cutter, then go back and plunge/sweep the wider key slot second. Doing it in one shot can lead to bit breakage, that's a lot of head relative to the shank/ slot size. It takes careful allignment, the drill press or a milling machine would help with that.

For a stopped slot, such as to let the plaque hang from a screw, the router table can be a challenge. You have to plunge, advance, stop, and shut off the router or back out carefully, all with the bit under the work blind. I've used the key hole for through slots on a router table, makes a great way to attach fences to coping jigs for instance, for stopped slots I've relied on a plunge router and a quick fixture for better visibility and control.

I tried using a 1/4" straight router bit in my DP to route a short dado.
    After an inch or two, the dado clogged with sawdust & the chuck started to wobble.
    The wobble went out of control within fractions of a second and the chuck with the router bit still in it came off and took off across the DP table, then off it and onto the floor.

It was - - - exciting - - - and not in a good way.

Thankfully the only two things damaged were my pride and the bit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Who highly recommends this?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    It most certainly is not, in fact it is highly recommended with that type of bit to run the slot in first with a straight cutter, then go back and plunge/sweep the wider key slot second. Doing it in one shot can lead to bit breakage, that's a lot of head relative to the shank/ slot size. It takes careful allignment, the drill press or a milling machine would help with that.
    Regarding this thread I will again say that the DP is not up to this operation. Previous posts in this thread regarding the nature of morse tapers should be heeded! A morse taper is used where there are axial forces that press the taper together, these forces do not exist in a significant way with milling operations. Radial forces abound when milling and like a million tiny hammers they will work a morse taper loose. If you haven't had a morse taper come loose when milling you have been lucky and if you continue to do so you will eventually have a taper separate.

Regarding the use of a t-slot cutter as required for this thread I have contacted the cutter manufacturer of the tooling that I use and they did not recommend the process you have prescribed. They stated that it was capable of cutting the t-slot in one pass and in my experience they are correct. It goes without saying that feed rate and good chip extraction are critical to a successful job. I have yet to do this operation in two steps in my shop and I have yet to break a cutter. If you want crisp, one pass is possible and the way to go. My opinion, my experience.
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 01-26-2013 at 6:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Very nice!

10. i have a small morticer that i use for drilling euro style hindges.
    i use a carbide tipped router bit 35mm in the normal chuck.
    it works great. not sure what rpm its doing but its a lot slower than my router

Math

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Melbourne View Post
    i have a small morticer that i use for drilling euro style hindges.
    i use a carbide tipped router bit 35mm in the normal chuck.
    it works great. not sure what rpm its doing but its a lot slower than my router
    \

What is a normal chuck Alan? Are you refering to a Jacobs chuck? You are also drilling, not milling so to speak.

If you do the math comparing a 0.375" diameter keyhole bit circumference speed to a 35 mm bit circumference speed for any given RPM you'll see that you're not comparing apples to apples.