Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very much appreciate some advice on floating the Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Thx for the the food for thought. I was at first thinking of a pontoon boat because of the platform style where it would be easy to set up for living and sleeping but... More research need I suspect.
    Have you considered a houseboat? You might be able to buy one upriver and sell it in New Orleans. One popular boat reselling site in the US is boattrader.com.

If you end up coming down the Tenn Tom stop and see me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Have you considered a houseboat? You might be able to buy one upriver and sell it in New Orleans. One popular boat reselling site in the US is boattrader.com.
    No I haven't but it's now something I'll investigate. Will have to see how they fair against large wakes from the barge and ship traffic
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    If you're not married to the Mississippi idea, consider the Tenn-Tom Waterway as a route to the ocean. Runs from Paducah, KY to Mobile, AL, and avoids the heavy commercial ship traffic of the Mississippi.

http://tenntom.org/

Also, Google "Great Loop Mississippi" if you haven't already. Lots of travel diaries of all sorts.
    thx for that. have been doing a bit of reading on it and it sounds pretty good
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!