Thread: Walnut and Antler HF

Walnut and Antler HF

I've decided to try a real artsy fartsy attempt at woodturning this year by creating a "series". Knowing myself too well this will probably peter out pretty quick but I'm on a roll here with piece number one. I'm calling the series "Organic" and I'm going to try and make some things that all incorporate some natural feature in the wood or have some other feature that gives them an organic look or feel. So here's numero uno......
    This is Walnut, turned green start to finish, with a heavy dose of sapwood. The collar is a piece of deer antler, a fork piece that I had cut the rest away for pens some time ago. So the collar is an irregular shape, not centered at all, and quite porous where I've cut into the center of the antler. The wood is green, turned pretty thin, about 1/4" give or take. The finish is the infamous Keith Burn's 10 minute finish. But because this wood is so green and moist it absorbed very little of the Antique Oil. It was then buffed pretty hard with tripoli and then a light buff of carnuba wax. What I'm hoping for is that this wood will dry without cracking but will take on a little of its own texture as it dries. Then once it dries, if it's still intact, I'll buff it again to get a nice sheen and hopefully it will have a nice woody feel to it.

Walnut & Antler 1.jpgWalnut & Antler profile.jpgWalnut & Antler top.jpg

can't beat this wood..it is stunning..the neck is different & it does appeal. Good idea for #1, hope to see your 2nd attempt soon.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I would of never thought to put antler on a HF, but i think it came out great. Looking foward to seeing what else you have in the works.

I love everything about it, Curt. The wood is beautiful, your form is perfect, and the irregular collar makes it unique and stunning all at the same time. I look forward to seeing other pieces from your new series.

What a great idea! I hope it does what you want. I really like the sapwood contrast and how it matches the antler color at the opening.

Form is great, as you already know. And the antler gives it a...Tim Burton feel.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I like it Curt. The antler does give it a organic, rustic look.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like that Curt. You did a great job. I've never tried a HF yet. I don't think I actually have the tools to safely turn one.

I like this HF a lot. Great form, the wood is sweet and the soft gloss is a perfect fit. I'm not sure about the antler cap. Right now I'm thinking it's distracting. Gotta look at it a few more times.
    David DeCristoforo

Curt
    I'm with DD, I love the vase the wood the shape the finish but the antler I'm still thinking about.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

That is a beautiful piece of wood and very nice form. Nice start to a series I think.