Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router Table Recommendations

Blog Entries
    Prashum,
    There is a feeling of pride and pleasure each time I use my router table knowing that I built it and it works flawlessly that you will never get from a store bought setup. For me, there is also a great satisfaction and fun in building something for me, that I know I will use on a regular basis. I also know every nook and cranny of mine and what it took to get it that way. It can be a way to practice new woodworking techniques such as new types of joints or finishing. I do not believe any of these things can be achieved with a store bought model. Now, if these things are not important to you, then for you, building might not be preferred to buying. But for me, all of these thing are important and go to the heart of why I love my hobby.
    Ole's table is exactly what I am talking about. Go try to buy that! I can guarantee you that he is incredibly proud of that table, and loves using it. There is no way anything that he could have gone out and bought could even come close to that table.
    For me, it's the journey, not the destination that is important. I suppose that is one of the main things that defines the difference between the hobbyist and the professional.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

First, Larry, I love your signature. We had a t-shirt in computer league in high school that said "1+1=10" and elicited a lot of nerdy chuckles when people looked at us perplexed.

I get it. I appreciate the journey too - and take nothing away from the spectacular built tables that've been posted. All I'm saying is that the tone of some of the posts seemed to imply that they were superior in quality or features to the store bought ones. I just wanted to point out that it's not universally accepted that the store bought ones are lacking in anything but personal pride. I would have loved to make mine, but just didn't have the time when i needed one. If the OP's in the same boat, then just didn't want him to have to spend a few hundred $$ on a Jessem or Incra solution AND to feel like he was settlin' or sinnin'.

Blog Entries
    A router table is one of those rare tools that can be built to at least the same or better quality of anything that can be purchased. I think I would be hard pressed to say anyone could make their own table saw or jointer that could match the quality of what is available to purchase. So, with the router table, you can have the joy of making it yourself and top notch quality, it is a shame when you don't make your own, you are missing out on quite an opportunity. BTW, a good workbench falls into this same category.

I am glad you enjoyed my signature. I see that you fall into the group that understands binary

BTW: I wonder how binary 10 is pronounced??? One Zero just seems wrong.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-30-2013 at 3:22 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Brian, that is one massively overbuilt router table! Very cool. Looks like Lincoln Logs on steroids. Could you give us some particulars and a few more shots?
    Well I had left over two bys from when I built my barn that I needed to do something with. Most of the boards had defects after all they were kulls from the barn but I didn't need long stock for a router table. The square hole in the front with the plug is to allow speed adjustment of the router PC7518. I wanted to use the same Joint-Tech fence that I had on my Dad's Crapsman table saw but I wanted a longer table so I routed the big rabbit and dado for the Joint-tech fence. The Crapsman table saw is pretty much dedicated to box joints. I was hoping the mass would cut down on vibration and noise. The thick top I hoped would remain flat. So far it is. I flattened the top on my wide belt sander.

The top was to thick for my portable saw. The top was to long to safely use the fence. I needed to use my table saw and I remembered this trick from somewhere. Tacked a miter-slot runner to the bottom of the router top.

I built the base small so to have toe and knee space when standing close to the top. I hate bumping my knees and feet. However,it I had it to do over again I would have done it differently because to me it does not look wright.
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 01-30-2013 at 3:54 PM.

5. Dude...that's a hella setup!
    What does the final build weigh? How do you service the router? remove the top? or is there a door not visible in the pictures?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Prashum,
    There is a feeling of pride and pleasure each time I use my router table knowing that I built it and it works flawlessly that you will never get from a store bought setup. For me, there is also a great satisfaction and fun in building something for me, that I know I will use on a regular basis. I also know every nook and cranny of mine and what it took to get it that way. It can be a way to practice new woodworking techniques such as new types of joints or finishing. I do not believe any of these things can be achieved with a store bought model. Now, if these things are not important to you, then for you, building might not be preferred to buying. But for me, all of these thing are important and go to the heart of why I love my hobby.
    Ole's table is exactly what I am talking about. Go try to buy that! I can guarantee you that he is incredibly proud of that table, and loves using it. There is no way anything that he could have gone out and bought could even come close to that table.
    For me, it's the journey, not the destination that is important. I suppose that is one of the main things that defines the difference between the hobbyist and the professional.
    Larry, I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks. But readily admit that it is not of my own design, right from a magazine article with only a few mods. But that does not diminish my pleasure in building and using it. (And my willingness to show it off )

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brightwell View Post
    Well I had left over two bys from when I built my barn that I needed to do something with. Most of the boards had defects after all they were kulls from the barn but I didn't need long stock for a router table.
    Brian, tell me you weren't using maple two bys to build your barn, they sure don't look like pine or fir.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Manns View Post
    Dude...that's a hella setup!
    What does the final build weigh? How do you service the router? remove the top? or is there a door not visible in the pictures?
    Chris, the router comes out the top with the Jessem lift. I cut this hole for changing speeds without lifting it up.

The hole plugged.

"Brian, tell me you weren't using maple two bys to build your barn, they sure don't look like pine or fir."

Ole,I think I used one Maple board, the rest is Oak and Ash in the router table. I don't have much Maple.
    The barn consumed 28 6x6 cedar posts, most were dead or damaged trees. All the nailers and plates are hardwood off the farm. I cut most of it after hurricane Ike came threw. And then we had a bad ice storm that same year. I wanted to sell the logs put prices were way down so I had a guy come here with a Woodmizer and saw them for 23cents a foot. But there is less waste with a band mill and I didn't have to haul them. The whole barn was screwed together with 5"x 1/2" lag bolts.
    I have more logs to be sawed. I have a bur oak that is 36 inches and at least 50 feet to the first limb. I will get to use my Husky 576AT on it. It is starting to die at the top.
    After I finish my dust collector and a few projects for my wife I want to build a workworking bench. I still need to do my research on it like the OP. is doing on his router table.

Rich....

You're overthinking this. While everyone has posted some fine suggestions and great information, I think you've forgotten that the best setup - one worthy of starting your own business and making a fortune - is right under your nose.

RouterTable.jpg
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...yone-read-this

Hey Joe, could you mount a reloading press on there someplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Rich....

You're overthinking this. While everyone has posted some fine suggestions and great information, I think you've forgotten that the best setup - one worthy of starting your own business and making a fortune - is right under your nose.

RouterTable.jpg
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...yone-read-this

Joe, If he was just one mile closer to me, I'd have to purchase that one, but I had to draw the line somewhere and it was one mile. Too bad for my luck. Thanks for thinking of my financial future though.

I believe by the time you finish building one your self, it will be the same price as buying one. But better.

If you need one right now I would buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    I believe by the time you finish building one your self, it will be the same price as buying one. But better.

If you need one right now I would buy one.
    That sounds like an extremely accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Build your own. While you cant beat their lifts, (I have the PRL) build your own. I used Norm's plans and put the PRL in it with the Incra LS120 Fence bought used, and I think I may have 2 sheets ply maybe and the top is two 3/4 pieces of mdf sandwiched and covered in formica bandded in oak. Threw a pc7518 in it (most expensive part). I may have 600 in it including the router. One of the most used and its going on 9 years old. Man that's hard to believe. (top is still flat)

Attachment 252626
    I love the stained window (or the plastic window to look like glass). I couldn't agree with you more, if you build your own router table you will be much happier than one of these stamped steel router tables for 400 bucks plus the 300 dollar router not including the lift. Keith, where did you get the the stain glass made? Very cool.
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 01-31-2013 at 9:53 PM. Reason: spelling

I already spent 800 bucks in it already.
    You can get away with smaller router table, but full size router table it will cost you around 800-900 at least.

If you are going to buy it, I would buy 6 router tables, because you don't need to change router bits.