Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router Table Recommendations

Router Table Recommendations

I just returned from the Kansas City Woodworking Show. They had Woodpecker representatives there selling a router table package.

http://www.woodpeck.com/prp2.html

It also came with the superfence a couple of feather boards and a microadjuster for $929. I'm just wondering if the members like this system or another better? I am also wondering if it's a bit expensive and it's best to wait for a used router table package.

So what are your thoughts?

To me, that's an awful lot of money. I bought a Rockler table, stand, Jessem (?) lift and fence, and 3 HP PC router used for $300. A few scratches when I got it, but works great.

Granted yours is a step up from the Rockler (I also have a Woodpecker setup), but the deals are out there. Of course, new is nice.

Rick Potter

If you are looking at a complete kit you may also look at the Jessem. I have the Jessem and really like it, the fence runs on rails that are at the edges of the table and the table is smooth with no T-Track in the back. The lift will take just about any router out there which is nice so you can up grade when ever you need to or want to.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_L...ii%20kit-3.htm

I bought a Woodpeckers router table much like the one in your link about 12 years ago.. Love the table, has served me well, my setup didn't include the router lift as I am (ahem) too thrifty. My setup had a Wonderfence, which I just recently added a Incra LS positioner.. Maybe someday I will buy a lift.. And yes $950 is a lot of money

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I just returned from the Kansas City Woodworking Show. They had Woodpecker representatives there selling a router table package.

It also came with the superfence a couple of feather boards and a microadjuster for $929. I'm just wondering if the members like this system or another better? I am also wondering if it's a bit expensive and it's best to wait for a used router table package.

I'm currently building that setup into a cabinet. I've had the lift for a few years now and really like it. Last year I sold my cabinet saw and my router table in the wing went with it. So I picked up the phenolic table on special and added the superfence and micro adjuster. I've only used it on saw horses so far but really like the combo. My previous fence was a Incra positioner/wonder fence. For top bearing bits this fence makes quick setups. I have a Milwaukee 5625-20 in mine.

FYI - 1) my 43" phenolic table was bowed downward (about 0.015" in the middle) and needed to be adjusted flat - just like my old laminated top was to start with. So a non-phenolic top may be more economical. 2) the center of the router is set back further to give more front work space - some may not like this, I haven't used it long enough to decide which I like better.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike,

It comes with one of two lifts. Which do you have?

Blog Entries
    My recommendation would be to build you own. You will almost always be able to do it for much less money than buying. You can put what ever design features you want. Plus, it is a very satisfying project to build. Do lots of research, take ideas for lots of sources, have fun! I made mine mostly from scrap plywood and hardwoods, so it has a "unique" look to it. One side is oak and the other is cherry, with mostly walnut trim. It has lots of drawers and bit storage. You can make it what ever you want it to be.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mike,

It comes with one of two lifts. Which do you have?
    I was one of the first to buy the PRL-V2. It originally only came with the thumbwheel adjuster. I can't remember exactly but it has a range of I think +/- 3/8" fine adjustment. So if you make many adjustments in one direction you could loose ability to adjust. You can ratchet this back with a coarse adjustment but you loose your starting point (not a big deal). They then introduce the sidewinder to eliminate this possible limitation. I was one of the beta testers and really liked it. My new cabinet with lots of storage drawers may not make it convenient to have the sidewinder (no place to run the cable) so I may revert back to the thumbwheel. One other thing with the thumbwheel. When it was introduced it was advertised as a "tool-less" system, but, especially if you are using a large dia. bit the vibration could cause the thumbwheel to move. There is a set screw to lock it down but that's not tool-less. The sidewinder has a small thumbscrew to lock it in place. Both work good - if it's easy to apply I would go with the sidewinder.

Mike

build it

Build your own. While you cant beat their lifts, (I have the PRL) build your own. I used Norm's plans and put the PRL in it with the Incra LS120 Fence bought used, and I think I may have 2 sheets ply maybe and the top is two 3/4 pieces of mdf sandwiched and covered in formica bandded in oak. Threw a pc7518 in it (most expensive part). I may have 600 in it including the router. One of the most used and its going on 9 years old. Man that's hard to believe. (top is still flat)

router table.jpg

I have the Incra table, lift, and LS Positioner/Wonder Fence. The lift is comparable (even same manufacturer?) as the Jessem. Really precise.

I'm only recently learning to appreciate the LS Positioner and Wonder fence. They really make precision work like dados in boxes and shelves really simple and accurate.

I'm sure you can make your own, but the precision setting is really wonderful.

I have the Woodpecker table, fence, and a V2 lift converted to a sidewinder with their retrofit kit. I have it all on a Kreg stand because there's really no practical difference and the Kreg stand was a slightly better deal that day. I have a PC 7518 motor in the lift. Absolutely no regrets on any of it.

Blog Entries
    I have seen some really cool, expensive, commercial router tables. All of them were missing something that would make them perfect for me and for that kind of money, I would want perfect. The feasibility of my table, Keith's table or anyone else's table being right for you will depend how closely what you do matches what we do. I recommend deciding on your motor, lift and fence in that order. Then decide on a table that will meet the needs of those devices and build a cabinet (you can build tha table too if you like but, they are pretty reasonable) under it that suits your needs. JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I had enough time to build one, I'd do that. If I wanted to get started making other stuff right now, I'd buy it.

The people that suggest the build are correct in that you can customize it, but the trade off is time and ability. When I was relatively new to woodworking, I didn't really know what custom features i would want or need....so I went with a purchased setup and as I have gained experience, I now know what features I would include when I eventually build my custom setup.

I also recommend Jessem. I have their lift, phenolic router table and their dowel jig. all are top notch, high quality products.

my purchased set up is an incra router stand, incra fence system, jessem phenolic table, and jessem router lift.

Blog Entries
    If you are a hobbyist, then you do have time to build one. You may not want to, but that is a whole other thing.
    If you are not sure of all the features you want, then build a minimal one and use it. You will soon discover the features you want.
    I think the router table falls into the same category as the workbench, building your own is by far the preferred way to acquire it. It will develop a sentimental value that can never be achieved with store bought one. There is a certain pride you will feel every time you use it.

Of course, if you are a professional making you living at this, then you don't have time to mess with it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-28-2013 at 3:40 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Build your own. While you cant beat their lifts, (I have the PRL) build your own. I used Norm's plans and put the PRL in it with the Incra LS120 Fence bought used, and I think I may have 2 sheets ply maybe and the top is two 3/4 pieces of mdf sandwiched and covered in formica bandded in oak. Threw a pc7518 in it (most expensive part). I may have 600 in it including the router. One of the most used and its going on 9 years old. Man that's hard to believe. (top is still flat)

router table.jpg
    Keith, that is a awesome looking table! I'd bet you had a blast building it.
    Larry J Browning