• Laminate and glue, $35
    • Braces, hinges, pull, $30
    • Woodpecker plate and lift, $200 IIRC
    • Router plate template, $15
    • Hitachi M12V 3.25 hp router, $127
    • Freud router fence, $110
    • Aluminum miter slots, $25
    • Rockler switch, $25

Totals $607, but with some incredible router and lift pricing.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-01-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have about $400 in my Norm design, but I was able to use up scrap plywood from several previous projects so the cabinet had no-cost. I even had enough MDF laying around to make the top from 2 3/4 pieces. I caught the Triton 3.25hp onsale for $199. It has a built in lift so I did not add a lift. I did get the Woodpecker plate and template. There is no way I could have even half the router table I have for if I had bought it. If I felt I needed a router table right away, I think I would buy with the idea of building my own later, but get the minimal setup and then later build a proper table.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This is the best I've seen so far

http://www.rt1000.com/id53.html

Made an adjustable fence.
    Then put a Bench dog lift under the MDF.
    A continuous unbroken path for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Made an adjustable fence.
    Then put a Bench dog lift under the MDF.
    A continuous unbroken path for the work.
    Pat, I really like the absense of the router plate. Is the Bench Dog lift easily attached to the bottom of the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Prashum,
    There is a feeling of pride and pleasure each time I use my router table knowing that I built it and it works flawlessly that you will never get from a store bought setup. For me, there is also a great satisfaction and fun in building something for me, that I know I will use on a regular basis. I also know every nook and cranny of mine and what it took to get it that way. It can be a way to practice new woodworking techniques such as new types of joints or finishing. I do not believe any of these things can be achieved with a store bought model. Now, if these things are not important to you, then for you, building might not be preferred to buying. But for me, all of these thing are important and go to the heart of why I love my hobby.
    Ole's table is exactly what I am talking about. Go try to buy that! I can guarantee you that he is incredibly proud of that table, and loves using it. There is no way anything that he could have gone out and bought could even come close to that table.
    For me, it's the journey, not the destination that is important. I suppose that is one of the main things that defines the difference between the hobbyist and the professional.

I'm sorry Larry but this is coming off to me as a bit pretentious, overly dramatic and highly subjective. Did you make your own table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, drill press... screw drivers...sand paper? Where does it end or begin? Some of us want to make furniture for the house, family or friends, not for the shop. If you want to build tools that's fine, but please don't get preachy about all this. The cuts coming off my commercial router table (bench dog extension actually) are indistinguishable from the cuts coming off your home made love fest table. The rest is what makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Brian, that is one massively overbuilt router table! Very cool. Looks like Lincoln Logs on steroids. Could you give us some particulars and a few more shots?
    That is by far the coolest router table I have ever seen! And probably the heavyist too......LOL Way to go Brian.

Rich,

JMHO if you have the time to build a quality router table, go to www.newyankee.com and drop the 24.95 for the plans and the video. They are both well worth the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    I'm sorry Larry but this is coming off to me as a bit pretentious, overly dramatic and highly subjective. Did you make your own table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, drill press... screw drivers...sand paper? Where does it end or begin? Some of us want to make furniture for the house, family or friends, not for the shop. If you want to build tools that's fine, but please don't get preachy about all this. The cuts coming off my commercial router table (bench dog extension actually) are indistinguishable from the cuts coming off your home made love fest table. The rest is what makes you feel good.
    Where was it that I said that I made my own table saw, bandsaw, etc??? I said that I made my own router table and workbench and that it brought me great satisfaction in doing so. I was pointing out that there is something very satisfying about using a tool that is made with your own hand that cannot be achieved with store bought. For me, woodworking is not so much about what I produce, it is about the process of doing it. If you cannot understand that, then I feel sorry for you. What is it about woodworking the you like so much if it is the the pleasure of doing it?
    Can I get an AMEN?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Rich,

JMHO if you have the time to build a quality router table, go to www.newyankee.com and drop the 24.95 for the plans and the video. They are both well worth the money.
    Check out this link before dropping 25 bucks on Norm. http://crestonwood.com/router.php
    Even though I did get Norm's plan and video. It didn't feel right not doing that.
    Larry J Browning

A marathon, heavy upside down work, not recommended if your frustration tolerance is boarderline. But very nice whence done.
    That one was for a client. Now using this fence on my table.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Check out this link before dropping 25 bucks on Norm. http://crestonwood.com/router.php
    Even though I did get Norm's plan and video. It didn't feel right not doing that.
    Didn't even know those plans exsited...I do like the red laminate on the drawer fronts, kinda makes the cabinet "pop"

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    A marathon, heavy upside down work, not recommended if your frustration tolerance is boarderline. But very nice whence done.
    That one was for a client. Now using this fence on my table.
    oh, nice.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    This is the best I've seen so far
    http://www.rt1000.com/id53.html
    I wonder if Norm is getting a cut of the action on the look-alike cabinets?

Larry, AMEN brother. I might have the money to buy it but what fun would that be. It is individual desire, building something vs. buying. I get more satisfaction out of making it, but i am not a production shop nor do i do it for the money. I do it for the fun of it, and to push myself to improve for my personal satisfaction.