Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrape or Plane after initial glue up

Scrape or Plane after initial glue up

I've glued up 2 panels 24 x 36 of African Mahogany. I used Hide glue and was able to clean one side but the reverse side has glue squeeze. Will I damage my new LV BU planer to clean the glue or should I go to a scraper?

I just use a sharp paint scraper - preferably while the glue is still relatively soft.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Get most of it off with a scraper or a chisel then plane it clean. The plane won't mind it much, but there's no reason to gunk up the sole slowly shaving thin bits of glue off of the boards.

Blog Entries
    This is only one of the reasons some beater tools are in my shop. They can do jobs like this without worries. Most of the time a beater chisel is used if there is heavy squeeze out. It is then followed by one of my beater planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is IMHO a great reason to get a $5 block plane on ebay. I prefer a beater plane to a beater chisel, because you can be a little rougher with it with relatively less fear of tear out.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the scraper camp. Once the glue is off the exposed surface, you can plane, sand, scrape or do whatever your final preparation is before finishing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    This is IMHO a great reason to get a $5 block plane on ebay. I prefer a beater plane to a beater chisel, because you can be a little rougher with it with relatively less fear of tear out.
    My statement should have been a bit more clarified. If the squeeze out is rather light, then a plane is fine. My chisels come out when there is good size blobs of squeeze out or if working into a corner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm with Prashun on this one. With minimal or maximum squeeze out I am always comfortable attacking it with a block plane that I don't have a lot of sentiment with.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I'd never choose the plane or chisel for this task, I save them for more important and worthy efforts. A paint or card scraper is cheaper, faster to use and easier to sharpen.

My small chisel plane excels at this very task. If you don't want to buy one, you can easily make a block of wood that will hold a chisel at the correct angle to be efficient. One swipe and done.

Jeff

For me it depends on the wood, you won't hurt the tools, but I'd rather potentially nick a scraper that sharpens up in a second with a file rather than a plane that it honed perfect. If I have squeeze out it always gets the heavy scraper first.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I use one of these:

http://www.reddevil.com/index.php?l=...t_detail&p=827

It actually is quite a beast when it comes to removing glue.

I use one of these from Lee Valley, have had it for some time and love it....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...64&cat=1,41182
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    I say get a 5$ block plane anyway.. it's great to have and you get to buy a new tool!

I use mine also on MDF and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    I use one of these from Lee Valley, have had it for some time and love it....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...64&cat=1,41182
    oooh...I'm thinking that it wouldn't be all that hard to make one of them...