Thread: General dishwasher question

General dishwasher question

Hello,

My wife and I are ready to replace our 20+ year old GE dishwasher. We're not so much interested in what brand to choose as we are in the venting of the unit.

Our existing dishwasher vents only at the front, but we've learned that some dishwashers vent into the side of the cabinet or even into the top of the cabinet. We understand that this can cause problems to the adjacent cabinetry, especially if you have formica countertops, which we have.

So, as a result of this, we've narrowed our search down to those units that vent at the front, but we've noticed that even some of the ones that vent at the front have a small vent or air intake or something or other at the top left side of the door.

My question is, should we worry about this small (vent or whatever it is) at the top left side of the door, or is that not a problem.

We've only see about one or two models that don't have that small vent.

Thanks,
    Louis

Hi Louis

The one that we currently have and aren't sure if we are keeping has that vent that you speak of. Not sure, but if you concerned about the underside(particleboard) of the countertop being exposed to the moisture released, simply take a narrow bristled brush and coat the underside of the particleboard with polyurethane. By sealing it you eliminate what I "think" you are alluding to. Hope this helps and....aren't dishwashers fun

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I have a 10 year old Kenmore dishwasher that is still working and is very quiet. The problem is the darn thing doesn't get dishes clean! I haven't even used it in a year or more due to this. I read once there may be some upgraded parts that improve the cleaning performance, but I haven't actually done the research. Right now, I generate so few dirty dishes that it is just as easy to wash them by hand.