Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good way to trim pocket screw plugs?

Am I the only one that cuts the end off the plug? I knock the end off, on an angle, using a band saw. The plug then slides flush further into the pocket. A little glue on the back, sand it, and I have never had a problem with them lifting out of the pocket.

Just wondering.....
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Similarly to one or two others, but not the same, I join two small pieces of hardwood with a pocket screw as a jig. Then, simply insert the plug into said pocked hole and hold it against my stationary horizontal belt sander a few seconds until almost flush. Remove plug from sanding jig and install in project pocket hole. A light sanding with the ROS and you're done. Sometimes, if many are needed, I'll create a two or three-hole jig. I also will prepare perhaps 50 at a time to benefit from economies of scale. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Waara View Post
    Am I the only one that cuts the end off the plug? I knock the end off, on an angle, using a band saw. The plug then slides flush further into the pocket. A little glue on the back, sand it, and I have never had a problem with them lifting out of the pocket.

Just wondering.....
    I'm new to the pocket screw world. Jury still out for me. But this is exactly how I thought it was done. Seems like it would be very simple, a little sanding and done. Glad to hear someone has tried it and it works. Surprised so many leave it long then trim. Seems you loose the advantage of pocket screws (quickness) if you have to fuss with sawing and sanding while trying not to mar the surface. Then again I won't use them where they are seen, but in a pinch like the OP, it may be unavoidable.