Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out with the old, in with the new

Out with the old, in with the new

I had a neighbor contact me this morning.......interested in my 14" bandsaw.......which I had tweaked up pretty good with a Baldor motor and some other enhancements..........he gave me a check and told me he would get it when my new unit arrives.......That and Christmas gift funds make it an easy purchase!

I have been thinking for a couple of years about a new 14" saw, and I did some checking around.....decided on this and got a riser block kit for it as well.........this one has two speeds and cast iron wheels. I already have a Jet 18" bandsaw, so I wanted to stay with the 14" size.......no room at present for another larger saw.

Here is what I have ordered.....

This should make cutting turning blanks a breeze ........sometimes a man has gotta do what a man has gotta do!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congratulations! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What was the old 14"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    What was the old 14"?
    A Reliant....came from a company that had one built under their label........Trend Machinery.........they were big in woodworking in the 90's........most all 14 inch saws are fairly generic with interchange-able parts.

I misspoke above.......the company was "Trendlines"..........not sure if they have any affiliation to Trend Machinery which is in business today.......It is hard when you try to answer questions realated to things that are years old!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-31-2013 at 12:03 PM.

I think the new saw will last you for years to come. The riser block is a great addition. A 1/2" 3tpi resaw blade will make it complete. I usually buy mine from Grizzly.

I have the same model w/ the riser block that arrived 6 months after ordered.
    Warning: the riser block mounting holes were not correct and I had to drill new ones in order for it to work.
    Also didn't realize that riser block would cut capability from 14" to 13" but no big deal.
    Now that saw is up and running, I do like and use it often.

congratulations, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watson View Post
    I have the same model w/ the riser block that arrived 6 months after ordered.
    Warning: the riser block mounting holes were not correct and I had to drill new ones in order for it to work.
    Also didn't realize that riser block would cut capability from 14" to 13" but no big deal.
    Now that saw is up and running, I do like and use it often.
    I noticed that Grizzly Industrial has different riser block kits for a few of their 14" saws........perhaps the one you got was not the correct one .........my hopes are that the one listed for this particular saw is the correct one......at least the customer service rep said it was on the phone and it matched the info on their website.........I will know in a few short days!

Roger you may want to build a table for your band saw, i use the table more than the saw, but has come in handy with these boxes
    if you need to tilt your metal band saw table, you have to move the wooden table out of the way, but my normal operation......
    those chips are imagainary .....i swear i just cleaned up last.....year.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

M.Watson wrote:
    (Also didn't realize that riser block would cut capability from 14" to 13" but no big deal.)

I've never heard of a riser block that changed the throat size or am I missing something.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    M.Watson wrote:
    (Also didn't realize that riser block would cut capability from 14" to 13" but no big deal.)

I've never heard of a riser block that changed the throat size or am I missing something.

That makes two of us, Harry........

12. Charlie.......thanks for the suggestion......where my bandsaw sits, I do not have room for a table for it.........I have the bigger saw as well, so when I need extra support, I use that one, and add roller stands for outfeed support on it......thanks!

13. The "neck" of the top portion(from the riser block - up) flairs out 1 " at the bottom.
    The riser block is the same size as the "flared out portion"
    If you look closely at the picture of the
    FreeStuff Drawing - Grizzly G0555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw

you can see it.
    Sorry, I don't have a camera to take a picture of mine.
    If I put the fence tight against the riser block, it's 11" to the blade.
    While looking for a picture, I noticed that this saw is no longer on Grizzly's web site.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watson View Post
    The "neck" of the top portion(from the riser block - up) flairs out 1 " at the bottom.
    The riser block is the same size as the "flared out portion"
    If you look closely at the picture of the
    FreeStuff Drawing - Grizzly G0555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw

you can see it.
    Sorry, I don't have a camera to take a picture of mine.
    If I put the fence tight against the riser block, it's 11" to the blade.
    While looking for a picture, I noticed that this saw is no longer on Grizzly's web site.
    Micheal......I was just on the site looking at this bandsaw again.......after reading your post, I went back and it is still there.......I don't understand why it is not on there for you........

Congrats on the new saw. That saw gets great reviews. Santa was good for me too, pulled the trigger on the Rikon on sale at Woodcraft. Replaced a 12" Jet. Got some Highland blades for it, very nice. It is good to have a saw with the capabilities to cut some larger logs. This will definetly be upping my wood scavaging activities. Can't wait to see some pics of your new saw with the riser block.