Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raptor CBN wheels

Raptor CBN wheels

Looks like D-Way has some competition from Craft Supply.

http://youtu.be/urM-5P8_t4g

The video points out that you can use them without removing your grinder guards (wheel is 1" wide instead of 1 1/2", not sure how this is a good thing) and that you can side grind with it. Looks like it only comes in one grit, "170/200 Grit (ASTME)". Price is $196 but that includes the bushing, so it is about the same price as the D-Way wheels.

2. I have seen one of these and used it on a bowl gouge.........I prefer my D-Way with the 1-1/2" wide surface......just my opinion.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have seen one of these and used it on a bowl gouge.........I prefer my D-Way with the 1-1/2" wide surface......just my opinion.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. I was just pondering picking up a second CBN (180gr) to go with the 80 I already have. I'll get another D-Way just so I have a matching set. I love the 1 1/2" surface and I won't miss the grinder guards.

Its great to have a second choice. I already have a D-Way and like the 1 1/2 inch wide surface, although side grinding is a nice feature of the Raptor. I think I will keep a standard wheel on one side for grinding normal steel.

Steve

The newer D-ways now have a side grinding feature .
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I got used to the 1 1/2 inch width of the D Way, and I have to try most things out there. I bought one of the Cuttermaster wheels which is 1 inch wide, and has a side grind option. I still prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I talked to Dave about the side grind, and he said that the carvers love it, but it does not appeal to the turners as much. Don't think I will try this wheel. Though if I wanted the side grind option, I would want it wider like on the Optigrind or the Craft Supplies wheels.

robo hippy

I'll stick with my 11/2 D-ways

I am quite spoiled by that extra width on the D-Way. Great for long side grinds on gouges and sharpening skews.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I am quite spoiled by that extra width on the D-Way. Great for long side grinds on gouges and sharpening skews.

+1 on this observation......the side grind can be done by canting the gouge to the right or left and the entire wing can be sharpened at once.........makes for a fine edge which makes fine shavings on a shear cut or shear scrape with the wing......more surface for the skew as well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I will stick with the D-way. Like the 1 1/2" width.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    The newer D-ways now have a side grinding feature .
    Brian, can you elaborate on your statement? I don't see any mention of side grinding on the D-way website. I'm considering making a purchase and that would seal the deal. The advantage of the D-way seems to be the wheel width and the advantage of the Raptor is the side grind. If D-way has both, the choice would be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Moffett View Post
    Brian, can you elaborate on your statement? I don't see any mention of side grinding on the D-way website. I'm considering making a purchase and that would seal the deal. The advantage of the D-way seems to be the wheel width and the advantage of the Raptor is the side grind. If D-way has both, the choice would be easy.
    Well, Dave has said that to me a couple times, including at dinner last night.

Personally, given that I know Dave, his wheels are wider, have more options (two grits) and are cheaper, I would still say go with D-Way

BTW, Craft Supplies approached Dave about wholesaling to them, he declined.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    BTW, Craft Supplies approached Dave about wholesaling to them, he declined.
    I figured they had. I suspect that once he declined, Craft Supply spent a fair amount of effort trying to find an alternate source for CBN wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Moffett View Post
    He mentions it in the video posted on his site at the bottom of the CBN wheel page - first video at about 2:16 that he has CBN material on the edges and I believe he mentions it later on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chavis View Post
    He mentions it in the video posted on his site at the bottom of the CBN wheel page - first video at about 2:16 that he has CBN material on the edges and I believe he mentions it later on too.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Chris. I don't see where Craft Supplies or D-way gives a size specification on the side grind. Just from looking at the pictures/videos, the D-way looks pretty small (maybe 1/4"?) whereas the Raptor appears to have somewhere around 3/4" to a 1". I've never used a wheel with the side grind feature, but it seems like an added bonus to provide more flexibility in grinding. I'd be curious to hear from anyone using a side grind wheel. Is it one of those things that once you have it, you don't want to live without it, or is it just an unnecessary feature that never gets used?