Thread: Venting DC to the outside

Venting DC to the outside

I posted on the other thread but someone suggested I post a new thread. So I have been sufficiently disturbed by all the dust discussion and want to figure out a way to vent a DC like the HF 2 hp. model to the outside of my garage? The exhaust for a DC like that model is the top filter bag isn't it? if that is the case then you would have to manufacture some type of manifold that fits over the top of the DC and necks down to a manageable size to vent to the outside air am I correct in that thinking? I have a Shopsmith DC 3300 now but it is woefully insufficient even for the littlest dust collecting job so I am thinking about picking up the HF DC which is on sale until the end of today with a 20% coupon that I have in my email. In the future I would be looking at setting up some type of cyclone arrangement. Thanks for your input.

Check out used DCs on craigslist. The HF one has an undersized small reverse curve impeller. I replaced my HF with a shop fox for about the same price by buying used.

To answer you original question, you would need to build the manifold to replace the upper bag to vent externally.

Blog Entries
    Rather than trying to wrap up the entire bag portion, are you in an area where sending the exhaust to the outside directly form the blower is a possibility? You'd have an increasingly large pile of sawdust outside, but for some that isn't an issue.

Another option might be to put the cyclone / collector outside. Only a 5" pipe goes through the wall, but you still get to collect the sawdust in a container, and who cares about the minor dust that flows through the top. You'd obviously want to keep it covered from the elements.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have 3 dust collectors vented outside. Have them hooked up to cyclones so all the dust goes to the bags at the bottom. Have been using them for over 2 years and do not see any dust outside the building from the cyclones. I have the motor on the inside and the cyclone outside.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

You live in CT, is your shop heated in the winter? If so, how much warm air will the DC vent to the outside?....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    I posted on the other thread but someone suggested I post a new thread. So I have been sufficiently disturbed by all the dust discussion and want to figure out a way to vent a DC like the HF 2 hp. model to the outside of my garage? The exhaust for a DC like that model is the top filter bag isn't it? if that is the case then you would have to manufacture some type of manifold that fits over the top of the DC and necks down to a manageable size to vent to the outside air am I correct in that thinking? I have a Shopsmith DC 3300 now but it is woefully insufficient even for the littlest dust collecting job so I am thinking about picking up the HF DC which is on sale until the end of today with a 20% coupon that I have in my email. In the future I would be looking at setting up some type of cyclone arrangement. Thanks for your input.
    OK, I have the HF 2hp model you're talking about. If you're worried about the efficiency of that BAG filter like I was just scrap it and replace it with a Wynn Nano filter kit for $168.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

It's initial rating is MERV 15 which is 99.999 % efficient at 0.5 micron. After you use it for a while all those microscopic pores that initially allowed that 0.001% through clog up some which actually makes it even more efficient.

I put a garbage can cyclone in front of it and could not be happier.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    Michael,

People have used the 2 hp Harbour Freight single stage dust collector, with a shopmade "cyclone separator" built into the metal collar between bottom bag and the top filter bag and instead of having a top filter bag, installing a vertical tube just above the separator, to vent the fine particles outside...... j. phil thien is the originator of the 'cyclone separator' or 'baffle separator' and there is online a discussion forum which you should be able to find where people have posted their construction processes for doing both steps.

good luck

michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael osadchuk View Post
    Michael,

j. phil thien is the originator of the 'cyclone separator' or 'baffle separator' and there is online a discussion forum which you should be able to find where people have posted their construction processes for doing both steps.

good luck

michael

i wouldnt go as far as to say that but he definetly is responsably for the baffle design. and a great design it is too
    i have several of his design and love it
    its great to be able to do all of it your self instreadof just opening a catologue and buying it. there is enough fancy bits and bobs left for catologue drooling

i vent my dc out side
    i just put some mdf on top and bottom of the rind and used threaded bar to hold them there. i rebated the edge and put weather stripping there to give it a good seal. then i put a 6"spiral pipe joiner into a hole in the top plat nad put my hose onto that.
    in thinking about redoing some of that part and building some kind of flush bell mouth outlet on the mdf disk . this should help reduce the resistance from the air taking the sharp corner