Thread: Arm R Seal Thinning

Arm R Seal Thinning

I'm working with Arm R Seal for the first time. I'm experimenting using it as a wiping varnish and as part of an oil varnish. I am unclear if Arm R Seal is already thinned. It 'feels' thinned. However, I've read of stories where people had trouble wiping it because it was too thick.

For those of you who have wiped it on before, what's been your experience? Thin or not?

Hi Prashun. Arm-R-Seal is one of my favorite solvent based finishes. I've used gallons of the stuff, and never thinned it. It is 32 - 38% solids per GF's tech data sheet, so it's not a low solids product as some claim; however, a fresh can has a pretty low viscosity which I find perfect for wiping. The stories about it being thick are probably from folks who have opened a partially used can. It will gel pretty quickly with too much oxygen exposure. For that reason, I pour it into smaller containers to reduce the head space.

BTW, I've gotten the best results with a lint free paper towel; specifically, Rags-in-a-box in the 350 count box. Those are not embossed - the ones in the 200 count box are. My favorite sheen is the Satin, especially for A&C projects.

John

John-
    I was going to PM you. You are in fact the reason I bought a few quarts of the stuff.

I have used a good deal of Minwax poly recently. Frankly, I found it to be much more compatible and friendly when used in OV blends with mineral spirits and BLO. Have you used ArmRSeal as an OV blend?

- pp

Prashun - Sorry, I've never used Arm-R-Seal that way. I've had such good results with it that I haven't found it necessary to try to "improve" on it. Have you tried using it as is? If it didn't work well for you, what was the problem?

A few projects I did with Arm-R-Seal:

Semi gloss:
    IMG_6630.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

Satin:

IMG_7218-001.JPG

IMG_8254.JPG

John

I applied 2 coats gloss Arm-R-Seal to my bathroom cabinets. Too glossy for me. Put on one coat Satin Arm-R-Seal. Not enough gloss for me. Can I mix my remaining pint of gloss with the pint of Satin to get something like Semi-Gloss? Or just go buy some SemiGloss?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    You sure can ... you are simply "adjusting" the ratio of the "flatting agent" in the mixture ... more satin = less gloss ... less satin = more gloss. Most finishers recommend that, for clarity's sake, you should always "build" the finish with gloss ... then, apply a coat or two of your blend. Too many coats of satin, and the flatting agents become too numerous, causing the finish to appear dull & cloudy.

FYI, if you wait about 24 hours the flatteners will settle and you'll have gloss at the top of the can. I've used that trick a couple of times when I didn't have time to go to the store and all I had was satin.

John

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    YEP ... chemically, the product is identical ... the SATIN will have the flatting agent in it. Let gravity do the work for you,and ... BINGO, you have the GLOSS product at your fingertips.

Anybody in Hollywood or Coconut Grove, Florida? I think I have two quarts of this crap I'd give you. Sorry for the harsh opinion, but that's what I think. Get in touch with me and you can have it. I can't imagine ever using it. As for thinning it, it is already about the consistency of paint thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by George Octon View Post
    Anybody in Hollywood or Coconut Grove, Florida? I think I have two quarts of this crap I'd give you. Sorry for the harsh opinion, but that's what I think. Get in touch with me and you can have it. I can't imagine ever using it. As for thinning it, it is already about the consistency of paint thinner.
    What is it you don't like? I've used gallons of the stuff and have never had any problems. If I lived nearby I'd be at your doorstep with my hands outstretched.

John