Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little spalt and a lot of Fiddle

Undercutting the rim is having the rim hollow under the horizontal surface. It can be done with a number of tools. Hollowing tools, scrapers or a swept back blunt nose gouge. It is not easy with a gouge, but the swept back edge leaves a very clean cut. The blunt nose allow the turner to keep the handle close to horizontal and transition from the body of the bowl to the rim. It does require a light touch. The "blue orbit bowl" posted yesterday is undercut about 3/4"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    Bob,

That is a gorgeous piece of wood, and outstanding job of turning. As a new turner can you share how you do the undercut rim?

Greg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Undercutting the rim is having the rim hollow under the horizontal surface. It can be done with a number of tools. Hollowing tools, scrapers or a swept back blunt nose gouge. It is not easy with a gouge, but the swept back edge leaves a very clean cut. The blunt nose allow the turner to keep the handle close to horizontal and transition from the body of the bowl to the rim. It does require a light touch. The "blue orbit bowl" posted yesterday is undercut about 3/4"
    Thanks Bob. I'm going to give it a try...have to learn sometime!

Nice one Bob. I am a sucker for undercut rims, one of my favorite bowl forms. Well done.