Thread: A Few Projects from the Maple Trees.

A Few Projects from the Maple Trees.

These are a few of my recent projects.

Spalted BLM 7"x11" w/ walnut collar (I know, some of you don't like them, but I do!!)
    006.jpg

Silver Maple 11"x 7" w/ walnut collar. I did a little inlay with some cabinet grade plywood!! A little pyro and carving, plus some colored epoxy.
    004.jpg

BLM 10"x10" with blue stain pine inlay. A bit of pyro too.
    001.jpg
    C&C always welcome.................Thanks, Mike

Very nice forms Mike! Nice wood and nice touch with the pyro and inlay embellishments. They all look great, but I'm really liking the form on the 1st one.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

It cracks me up that the plywood actually looks great. They are all beautiful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

wow, very nice. how long does each take to make?

Really drawn to the finish on all 3 Mike...very nicely done! I like the mix of embellishments, little something on everything!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Well done, I like all the forms Mike. The stepped collars are a nice touch, kinda southwest, kinda art deco. I like the embellishments. Beautiful stuff.

Pretty forms, Mike. No favorites here, I like them all and each is so different.
    faust

You did a great job! I like them all.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Don asked "how long does it take to make them?"

I think many of us have been asked this. I really don't know ....because I probably don't want to know how long it takes me to find the tree, arrange to cut it down, cut it into blocks, hauling it home and storing until I can rough them out, roughing them out, carrying them to my curing area, overseeing them as they cure, weighing them and recording weights to determine when the moisture had equalized, final turning, preparing any enlays, performing any embellishments (pyro, carving, etc) and then applying multiple layers of finish and buffing.......not counting any time attributed to selling, packaging and shipping. Whew!!!!!!! I bet I have somewhere between 8 and 10 hours into a finished bowl when it is all said and done!!!!! Now if one is in the mass producing mode, it just has to be quite a bit less. Makes me tired just thinking about all the work.

Mike

Great series of forms Mike. As usual your form and finish are spot on. Love the inlaying of the plywood and pine.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck