Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bishop's Mitre (Intentions)

Besides which, David, most folks these days would not know a clothes pin if it was stuck on their nose!! Well done on a great looking piece!! Philip
    Philip

Now I know what a bishop's mitre is. Learn something new every day. Curious, was it the actual chess piece that inspired, or just thinking of the word bishop? Any way, another lovely piece of wood and form. I am struck by the flow into the finial on this one. Nicely done to my eye. I too saw a clothes pin before reading your comments or enlarging the pic. Maybe it is an age thing! Upon further examination I like it, maybe not so much for what it is, but for what it is not. I like it because it is different. I know that many strive for a "signature" along this journey in wood, it is nice to see the experimentation and know some of it's inspiration. Your talents in woodworking are many and I look forward to see what you do with the addition of carving/sculpting to your pieces. Also hope you find some more of that wood.

"...was it the actual chess piece that inspired, or just thinking of the word bishop?"

The chess bishop is almost always represented by some reference to the mitre. In most sets, the mitre is a simple angled saw cut. The pieces I have are a reproduction of the original "Cook pattern" Staunton pieces designed and manufactured by John Jaques in 1849. These pieces are much more refined and detailed than the "average" chess set. You can see a picture of the original set here and you can see the bishop's mitre clearly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set
    David DeCristoforo

The picture of the chess set makes it crystal clear now, I also think the angle you have it turned slightly leads to an optical illusion of it's "thickness" at least for me, can we see a profile of the finial? it looks like you've pretty much matched the curve inside of the chess piece, I like the way you've flared the tops out, it's almost as if they are leaves about to open, regardless it really flows nicely with the form, especially the transition from the form into the cap.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

"...can we see a profile of the finial?"

Here ya go...

mitre_profile.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

I take back my original comment, it was an optical illusion. It's really spectacular David, it only vaguely resembles a clothes pin, maybe Dr. Seus' clothespin!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein