Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bishop's Mitre (Intentions)

The Bishop's Mitre (Intentions)

The question of where one get's one's ideas often arrises. The answers are always varied. For me, I never know when or where the next one will strike or what the "inspiration" will be. But, for better or for worse, come they do. This is the second time I have had an idea for a turning while playing chess. The idea of a split finial has been around for a long time. I have no idea (no pun intended) who did it first but I can say that the first one I ever saw was on a Mark Sanger piece.

It was not my original intention to make a finial like this. I was planning on a hollow form on a pedestal with a fairly "conventional" finial. But this thought broke in and I was stuck with it. This is my first attempt at a "carved" finial and I may be tempted to pursue this further. On the other hand, it might look just a bit too much like a clothes pin to be worth investing much more than a "oh well" on.

bishops_mitre.jpg
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 02-01-2013 at 6:03 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

A very pretty and interesting wood in the body with appealing shape. Your finial will take on a different look with change of view. Excellent work as usual. I have been looking forward to seeing something from you.
    C&C WELCOME

David,

What is funny is that before I read your post, when I first looked at the finial I said " Man that reminds of a clothes pin" But with that being said I think it goes well with the form and and I like it along with the contrasting colors. The wood in the main body is awesome. The continuation of the upper curve into the final really keeps everything together and makes it very pleasing to the eye. The main curve of the body is wonderfully voluptuous.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 02-01-2013 at 6:19 PM.

Beautiful form, David. The wood if fabulous. The finial craftsmanship is top notch. I'm going to need to sit a stare at it for a while to see how I feel.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

My favorite part of the piece is the way you oriented that spectacular grain. Then the finial splays the energy like a fountain instead of a lightning rod. I love the Bishop's Mitre reference. As a "man of the cloth" I think some of the church's garb is hilarious. I would never want to wear one, but I would like to be asked to wear one. My wife says the first time I wear a clergy collar she is leaving me. She is still with me.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

6. Wood species? Looks like cherry burl....a lot going on with the grain on that one! Nice contrast on the wood and finial.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post

What is funny is that before I read your post, when I first looked at the finial I said " Man that reminds of a clothes pin"
    Alan
    That's exactly what I thought. I love the form and the colors of the wood go so well together but I'm not very crazy of the finial....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I love that your pieces are inspired and always have beautiful flowing lines. The wood and form are gorgeous. I don't have a strong opinion either way on the finial, but it certainly adds interest to the piece. The top appears to be very small, so I'm curious if you hollowed from the bottom. If not, how big is the opening?

"...I'm curious if you hollowed from the bottom...."

It's hollowed from the top through a 5/8" hole. The wood is the last piece of the "found" burl I made the last "series" of hollow forms from. I hope I can find some more!

"
    Wood species? Looks like cherry burl..."

The wood is the last piece of the "found" burl I made the last "series" of hollow forms from. I hope I can find some more! It was suggested that this was a mistletoe burl that had grown on a honey locust tree. This was from a guy who is very familiar with the woods from California's Central Valley. It sounded good to me so that's what I going with.

PS The finial and "stopper" are rosewood...
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 02-01-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

10. very pretty grain in that David......I hope you can find some more as well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

As everyone else has said, the wood is gorgeous! and the rosewood is a perfect contrast. As usual, the form looks great (I don't remember a form from you that was anything but). I think the finial is interesting and I like it.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

The wood is stunning. I love both the finial and base form as separate parts. And I think the transition/flow from the bottpm form into the finial is beautiful. I am not entirely sure they work together, mainly because the bottom tends to overwhelm the finial proportionately from a width to height perspective. Perhaps a slightly shorter and wider finial? The craftsmanship, fit and finish are all absolutely stellar!

That all said, I could certainly learn a boatload from you on turning technique. Let me give you an address to ship this piece when you make your next one!
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

David, I've really enjoyed seeing the different forms you've created from that beautiful piece of "found" wood. But this one stands above the rest in my eyes. I think the unique finial sets it off very nicely. Not knowing where your inspiration came from I can't help but think of my own reverse inspiration. The finial looks like a curvy, kind of sexy old clothespin. And I mean that in a complimentary way. You've taken kind of an everyday, what was at one time commonplace, household item and tweeked and bent it into something that looks really cool atop that beautiful hollowform. At least that's how I see it. But I'm not a chess player.

David - I love the piece. I'm not sure if the finial adds or detracts. The finial doesn't remind me of a clothes pin as much as it does of a lady's boot. I look forward to your refinements of the concept.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

David, It's been awhile since I have been on here and it was nice to see a piece you had posted. The wood is definitely unbelievable, I hope you find a boat load of that stuff! I really like the form, it's very organic in appearance, almost fruit like. I like the finial. On the next one I'd be tempted to take some additional weight out of the center of the bishops hat, It would minimize the "clothes-pin" appearance, and if you gave that negative space one of your super sweet curves (needle files and rifflers?) I think it would make it feel much lighter. I can't see from the single viewpoint if it would alter the form too much and lose the bishops hat.

It's a stellar piece, and I look forward to getting to see where you go with this. Well done!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein