Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I use to rough cut high pressure laminate/formica to size?

What can I use to rough cut high pressure laminate/formica to size?

In a couple weeks I will be starting a new router table using Norm's revised plans. I purchased some formica to cover the table top and the faces of the fence parts.

It's been nearly 30 years since I worked with formica. What can I use to rough cut it oversized? I plan trimming it to final shape and size with a flush trim router bit.

Can I use a carbide bladed scribe like I use for scribing and snapping wonderboard backing for tile?

Can I get a special blade for my angle grinder?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thin kerf high tooth count TS blade.
    I have a steel "ply-tooth" blade that I have had for years. Not carbide, but cuts the really thin stuff well.
    Ya just have to apply a temporary face to the fence to keep the laminate from getting caught underneath the fence.
    Wear hearing and eye protection. Hope this helps.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Your regular table saw blade will work fine.

A 3rd vote for the TS. Just make sure it can't slip under your fence like Bill said--some sit up a little off the table.

Ken,

What are the dimensions of your router table top?

Use your carbide blade with the highest tooth count. The only issue is that the thin formica will want to slide under your fence. Clamp a board to your fence that fits tightly down onto your saw table.
    Howie.........

Table saw, clamp a piece of 90 degree flashing to your fence, horizontal flange tight on the table top so your laminate slides on top of it. I use 2"x2" and bent a tab around the ends of the face of my Biesemeyer fence rather than clamps so I just slip it on. Works great and takes two seconds to put on/take off.

I rough cut all of mine with a pair of tin snips. Works great for me. I just built the router table you are about to build and I'm glad I went with the formica. I think it looks great.

Keith....the finished table top will be 36" by 26". I bought the formica late last fall. I have plenty. I haven't cut any formica since I redid our kitchen 28 years ago. I honestly don't remember how I cut the formica to rough size then. It's old age.......
    Ken

I built that very table, well the top, sorta, last spring. I had a 4' x 8' sheet to start with, I thought it was too floppy to use the TS. I used a jig saw to break it down to more manageable pieces, but I probably wasted more than most people would want to. I left each piece several inches over size for the part I intended to use it on.

FWIW, I used aluminum T track instead of a T track bit in my top. Same with the miter gauge slot. I don't have experience with a bit like that and I like the look of the aluminum pieces.

John...I have combination side-by-side T-track and miter track for the miter slot and like you I have t-track for the fence.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-02-2013 at 2:49 PM.
    Ken

I've always used a crosscut hand saw. Easy and comfortable strokes.

There is a scribing tool you can buy. Has a carbide tip, looks like a utility knife. You start off just scratching it, then press a little harder and after a few strokes you can just break it off, or cut it clear through. Back the cut up with some plywood or other scrap. And use a straight edge on the piece you are saving, so if you slip it doesn't scratch the piece you are using.

Ken, I just cut it on the table saw using a fine carbide blade............Regards, Rod.

TS/slider etc.

Sadly I've used alot of this stuff in the last two years. I break it out using my slider and flush trim with a carbide insert router bit. Honestly there's no need to be fancy about the blade, carbide because it holds up well and anything other than a ripping configuration with work well.

I'm not a fan of exposed TS blades but I do recommend that you raise the blade higher than you normally would for a given material thickness as the laminate likes to pop up at the worst times. I'd have my blade 0.75" to 1.0" high.