Thread: What do you call.........

What do you call.........

a lidded box without a lid? Practice!!

So I turned a gorgeous napkin ring out of the lid part of this piece of cherry. Instead of tossing the whole thing, why not use it for practice? So, I continued on, hollowing, shaping the exterior, etc. Just to see what the cross section looked like, I took a pic. The inconsistent wall thickness won't win any awards per se, but, it's a box, or at least it was going to be, and I don't really care about wall thickness to the nth degree..........2013-02-02_12-27-58_86.jpg.

Took away a few lessons, as always, that I will apply to my next attempt.

1. Don't hollow the lid so much that you don't have any room to design. Shallow is better than a napkin ring........
    2. The flange/lid intersection doesn't have to be square. The lid rests on the bottom of the lid flange, not the top........
    3. Cutting on the right side of center with the lathe in reverse can be very helpful.
    4. etc.

Things don't always work out, but there's always something to learn.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

It's like studying geology from a road cut. That is actually really informative since you are otherwise working on something you can't see.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Richard, I use to turn my demo boxes from cherry. I would pass around boxes in various stages of completion so that folks could see up close and personal the various operations I was demonstrating. I had several cherry boxes dropped as they were passed and invariably they would split or chip. I no longer use cherry for that purpose as I believe it is too brittle.

If I were you I would sand that split edge until it is smooth and in the same plane to illustrate the shape one is trying for with this particular box. I will say that I thin the area under the shoulders a little more than on the piece you show and leave the bottom a little thicker. The bottom is short end grain and can have little strength depending on the timber.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.