Thread: Delta 46-715 Lathe lubrication...

Delta 46-715 Lathe lubrication...

Hello All,

During a search for belt replacement help, I found that a few folks here have this model Delta lathe. I just had to replace the belt on mine, and before I put the cover back on, I wanted to give it a little TLC on the inside-- maybe some lubrication. Based on some tell tale signs I see in there (dried grease at the ends of some shafts), it had some in the early part of its life. I check the manual, but the only 'maintenance' shown there is the belt replacement.

Can anyone recommend which parts I should lubricate and with what?. Based on the old stuff, it looks like it should be lubricated with white lithium grease. I could just lube the parts I think I should, but I don't want to lube anything I shouldn't, and more importantly I don't want to miss anything.

Speed adjust pulley... It looks like there are two or three shafts to the left of the large speed adjust pulley wheel that may need lubricated.

Motor shaft... I was also wondering about the motor shaft and right side pully. Should that be lub under the spring so the right pulley wheel move back and forth more freely?

Thanks for the help!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any thing that needs to slide on those shafts will benefit from a light coating of white grease. The mechanism is high maintenance compare to other lathes. The smaller Jet has similar problems. Too much grease and it clogs with dust. Too little and it doesn't slide well at all. I would error on the heavy side and clean it on a regular basis. We have a Jet at our turning club and it is a reoccurring issue.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I stopped using grease a few years ago on my jet 1442. Spray on Silicone seems to last much longer. Goes on wet but turns to a white powder in just seconds. Big box stores are the source.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions! I applied a little grease to each of the shafts and it really helped a lot-- I can move the lever with one hand now (I use to need two hands to reduce the speed). I just don't get why Delta doesn't mention one thing in the Owners Manual about lubrication-- not one. With proper perodic lubrication, the lathe would run very well for a long time. Without it-- if the belt wouldn't have broken and I realized how dry everything was-- I bet I would have been looking for a new lathe in a year or two. Just rediculous. But I know-- you don't have to scold me-- "I" should have known better!

Thanks...John

Quote Originally Posted by john brady View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions! I applied a little grease to each of the shafts and it really helped a lot-- I can move the lever with one hand now (I use to need two hands to reduce the speed). I just don't get why Delta doesn't mention one thing in the Owners Manual about lubrication-- not one. With proper perodic lubrication, the lathe would run very well for a long time. Without it-- if the belt wouldn't have broken and I realized how dry everything was-- I bet I would have been looking for a new lathe in a year or two. Just rediculous. But I know-- you don't have to scold me-- "I" should have known better!

Thanks...John
    one reason for Delta not telling you to grease the shaft is because you need a new machine sooner