Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses Production Screws or Traditional Wood Screws?

Who Uses Production Screws or Traditional Wood Screws?

I've always preferred production screws over the traditional wood screws, but understand they still have some ornamental uses. I'm just curious if most here also prefer production screws for general use. I have a taper drill set that frankly gets little use and am trying to justify tossing it on eBay.

I'm not familiar with production screws. I've been using SPAX for the last couple of years and really like them. I pre-drill using a tapered bit with a countersink. Works great.

I believe spax is a type of production screw. That said using a taper bit with a non-tapered screw doesn't seem right.

Also not familiar with production screws. I've started using SPAX screws if the need arises and they're available in the size I need/want. Also stainless steel screws from McFeely's - 316 preferred but also 304. Maybe bronze too. Depends on the project. That said, I try to avoid metal fasteners if possible.

This leads to another question - do you use anything to ease the screws way into the wood? wax? soap? nothing? I use paraffin wax from my local grocery store. They intend it for canning but I've repurposed it. The box I got contains 4 blocks. A supply that'll last me several lifetimes.

I use assembly screws for nearly everything except decorative hardware. Never heard them called "production screws". IIR the brand I have are deerwood ultimates. Square drive #8's, #17 auger point tip, annealed for strength, nibs under the head for self counter sinking. They look like sheet rock screws but certainly perform better. I also have a collection of SPAX and GRK fasteners for more demanding tasks and longer lengths. traditional wood screws? Not for anything thats blind. Their day has ended in my shop.

Since I started using McFeely's instead of Spax for attaching faceplates for lathe turnings, I went from stripping and breaking screws to re-using screws about 5 times. Each use involves screwing without a pilot hole into white oak. And bagged screws at Home Depot are much softer than the Spax.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I almost never use traditional screws. I feel like if I'm going to trouble myself with them I might as well go with some stronger or more asthetic joinery. In my mind screws are quick and dirty.

Always amazed at terms people use to describe things. Production Screws? Traditional screws=Slotted...gets tossed ASAP. We used to buy from McFeelys but I switched to Deerwood as they are just as good and 1/3 the cost. Prefer the recex drive which is a combination of philips and square drive. Torx drive screws are far superior but not as common yet. To everyone who thinks Spax are good you need to try other brands. Spax are horrible screws, soft and easy to strip. There is no need for tapered drill bits in my tool box

I can't remember the last time I used traditional screws. I've pretty much always used McFeelys since I learned there was a difference between drywall screws and wood screws but I think the quality has dropped since the Grainger buyout. I use Spax if I don't have what I need and can find what I want at Menards or Home Depot but their selections seem to skip around in size/type. Regardless, I greatly prefer square drive to Philips if at all possible, and NOT the combo-recess which doesn't stick on the square bit as well for me.

Edit: Rick, Spax are great screws compared to the other stuff in that aisle at the big box!
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-03-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Since I started using McFeely's instead of Spax for attaching faceplates for lathe turnings, I went from stripping and breaking screws to re-using screws about 5 times. Each use involves screwing without a pilot hole into white oak. And bagged screws at Home Depot are much softer than the Spax.

you use screws in white oak without drilling a pilot hole first ? and no breakage

I really prefer GRK, but Spax easier to find. Never use tapered screws. I agree with Johnny though.

Rick, Spax are great screws compared to the other stuff in that aisle at the big box!
    Low standards for a hobbyist.

I got started using HighPoint square drive screws over the past couple of years. I was breaking WAY too many traditional screws and started searching for an alternative. To get a better (good) quality straight or Philips head screw was just too costly, so i switched. The stuff they sell at HD or Lowes has dropped in quality so as to be virtually unusable. I suppose if you are working in fir, and drill holes for everything first, but.....

The Highpoints probably aren't cheap, but i got a coupon for the first box, bought a sampler which came with another coupon, which bought me a box with another coupon.....

And best of all, i have yet to break a single screw, and recent projects have all been in some pretty hard wood. If you are just making patterns or jigs, it is not such a big deal. If you are well into a project where fine craftsmanship is warranted, breaking off a screw, even in an invisible area, really puts a damper on things while you do an extraction, or re-set the screw pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    I got started using HighPoint square drive screws over the past couple of years. I was breaking WAY too many traditional screws and started searching for an alternative. To get a better (good) quality straight or Philips head screw was just too costly, so i switched. The stuff they sell at HD or Lowes has dropped in quality so as to be virtually unusable. I suppose if you are working in fir, and drill holes for everything first, but.....

The Highpoints probably aren't cheap, but i got a coupon for the first box, bought a sampler which came with another coupon, which bought me a box with another coupon.....

And best of all, i have yet to break a single screw, and recent projects have all been in some pretty hard wood. If you are just making patterns or jigs, it is not such a big deal. If you are well into a project where fine craftsmanship is warranted, breaking off a screw, even in an invisible area, really puts a damper on things while you do an extraction, or re-set the screw pattern.
    wait until you install a 3/8 lag screw and break it [bad steel ] the screw was turning easy so the torque did not cause it to break, I wonder if any of the big store screws and bolts will past a torque test

What are you describing as traditional and production?

I find the commonly available screws in the US to be poor, quite frankly.

I buy mine in England. Pozidrive heads, yellow zinc passivated, and either single or twin thread, depending on the application. I occasionally use slotted head countersunk woodscrews, but that's very rare. The "goldscrews" are superior in just about every manner. The one exception is with fittings, like hinges, when they will show.