Thread: Car battery charger

Car battery charger

Can anyone recommend a good small battery charger. I don't want one of the ones on wheels.

Are the electronic ones worth the money over the normal battery charger?

Does the rejuvination function actually work or just a gimmick to justify the extra money?

Thanks,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

The electronic ones did not last for me I went thru 2 in two years

I know you say no to a big one, but for 80 bucks this is a work horse
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/schumac...rger/195257.ip
    Carpe Lignum

The electronic ones work pretty well at maintaining a battery and not overcharging, however due to their sensing circuitry they will often not charge a truly dead battery. For that reason, I have a solid state Schumacher that has a 55 amp boost function. That allows me to override the sensing circuitry and get a little surface charge on a dead battery. At that point the automatic function will take over.

Try to pick one that gives you several charge rate options like a 3 amp trickle, 10 amp charge and then a boost rate. 6V ability is nice if you have an RV or antique car. Remember that little maintenance chargers will not start a dead vehicle (boost is only meant to be used momentarily) so if you often have dead vehicles you should step up into a large charger with 50 amps or more.

Biff has the info down...
    A dead battery often takes something that will force current into the battery for a while to get the voltage high enough for the automatic features to work properly...
    I keep one older charger that is not electronic to put a partial charge on dead batteries to get them to take a charge...

Thanks,

Guess I'll reconsider the bigger charger as ther isn't much difference in price.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I know little about car chargers but kind had my eye on this model from TSC.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/travell...harger-1037743
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post
    Does the rejuvination function actually work or just a gimmick to justify the extra money?
    Do the rejuvenator's de-sulfur the plates on a dead battery that's sat a while? Or do they just apply a boost?

It's funny this topic is up now, I just got the first chance to use a battery charger that I had really purchased for electrolysis....I think because my wife had left the rear defroster on in a VW when it was parked. 2 month old battery dead as a doornail, hopefully not an alternator.

A while ago, I got a manual schumacher 50/10/2 charger (manual so that it would work well for electrolysis). Works well and it was cheap, but not the charger for someone who might forget they left in on a car (manual only...no automatic shutoff).