Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection advise solicited - it's an old story

On my Clearvue, I don't know if I am just lucky or what but after using it for a year, if I bang on the filters I get zero dust in the cleanouts.

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Satur; 02-04-2013 at 7:45 AM.

John,

The Clearvue is not exactly turnkey....but it is not much more than the ready-mades. The critical advantage of the Clearvue in this case is that you can get a high quality "real" cyclone and adjust it to your height requirements. The blower and transition need to be assembled and caulked, Can be done in a few hours. Some of us crazy folk like to paint the assemblies...more time. The motor and blower assembly weigh about 70 lbs vs 200+ for Oneida and Grizzley. You will need to make a simple bracket to hang from the joists and do some wiring. Frankly, most people will agree that the ductwork is the most time consuming and a PITA. The unit has excellent separation and will capture the very fine dust (as well as the larger particles). This is critical in the basement. In your case, because you are height challenged you will need to put the filters side by side vertically, as I did, or in line along the ceiling. This will require you to make a "box" or manifold to distribute the blower output to two filters instead of one. If this setup works for you, you will have the best possible unit for your space. The assembly instructions for the Clearvue are on their website and there are plenty of folks here who can help you through it

About Clearvue - I see that they're a sponsor of The Woodworking Shows. That's coming to my town soon. But when I look on the website for the show I don't see them as a vendor. As a show sponsor, wouldn't they have a booth to display and talk up their wares? That could be an opportunity to explore their stuff.

The labour to set up and install a Clear Vue isn't bad - even if you lay it out a little different to stock. It's mostly about mountings and hose/duct and connections.

As Paul said most of the labour is in laying out and installing the ductwork anyway. There's quite a bit too in sorting out machine hoods and connections.

It's possible to build a DIY unit to the drawings on Bill Pentz's pages too if you're more adventurous/have less cash to spend...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 02-04-2013 at 9:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    You might want to take a look at a Thein baffle for you DC. They do a good job and can increase the effectiveness of your DC. Send Phil a PM and I'm sure he will help you with the details for your unit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wade,

You expressed concern about putting a cyclone motor between the joists because it may get "fried." Can't speak for other brands, but the Clearvue has a 5 HP Leeson compressor duty motor with circuit breakers. Before locating my motor, I called Ed Morgano, the original owner of Clearvue (and a straight shooter) for his advice. He not only approved but was kind enough to send me plans for a joist hanger bracket and assembly for muse. The CV has been in use for three years so far....nothing frying yet!

clearvue uses an open drip proof motor so there may be a concern if it is too close to the ceiling for air to circulate. I don't know of anyone who has had trouble though. It would also depend on the amp draw of your system. It's one thing to run a 5 hp motor at 12 amps and another to run bigger pipe at 19 amps. It had been mentioned earlier that the CV impeller and motor was lighter than the Oneida. The Oneida is more like 100 lbs but much of that weight is due to the heavier Baldor TEFC motor they use. It is a heavier frame design than Clearvues. Dave

Blog Entries
    My motor is between the joists with an inch clearance to the kitchen floor above, and no problems after two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My motor is between the joists with an inch clearance to the kitchen floor above, and no problems after two years.
    Ole, I thought you had an Oneida with a TEFC motor. Do they use ODP too? Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Ole, I thought you had an Oneida with a TEFC motor. Do they use ODP too? Dave
    The motor is a TEFC. Still generates heat, but with 500-1200 cfm discharging, then exiting the DC closet, there is no heat buildup as I exhaust the air between the joists, just not past the motor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Satur View Post
    On my Clearvue, I don't know if I am just lucky or what but after using it for a year, if I bang on the filters I get zero dust in the cleanouts.

Steve
    Just shows it is a good fit for your use and that's a good thing. My 2HP cyclone gets about a 1/2 cup of fines after scrubbing the filter at regular intervals for a year or so. I often wish I could have shoe-horned the 3HP in but, the 2HP seems to be sized OK for what I have now. I do have a modified bag unit for the jointer but, everything else ties to the cyclone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler