Thread: Walnut Oil Finish - Makes my bowls feel greasy

Walnut Oil Finish - Makes my bowls feel greasy

I started using Mahoney's Walnut Oil Utility finish last year and I have been happy with it for the most part but... it never seems to harden or cure like it says it's supposed to. When I bought the Walnut Oil I also bought the little tub of Mahoney's Walnut Oil Wax that is recommended as a last step and always apply it about 24 hours after the oil. I like the finish but some of my pieces still feel greasy almost a year later. Is it supposed to feel this way? Do you think I'm putting on too much? I usually keep saturating the wood for about 10 - 15 minutes as it soaks it up and focus on end grain areas that soak it up faster then I let it sit over night to "cure". Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences.

I think you may be putting the oil/wax on a bit early. Here's a routine that works for me: A coat of oil, hand rubbed, let it soak in over night and then buff with soft cloth, let sit a few days, preferably with some sun time, another thin coat of oil, out in the sun for a few days, let sit a couple of weeks, buff with a soft cloth...then a thin coat of oil/wax.

Yeah I stopped using the walnut oil and utility finish because it never cured - it was always greasy as you said and nothing but fingerprints. Switched to a home made witches brew which I apply, let cure for a week, then buffed out and finished with a coat of Renaissance Wax. Perfect, smooth, semigloss finish every time. Customers are very happy which makes me very happy.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

I find that an oil finish alone for general use does need some time to soak in after final wipe and that sun or a heated box helps to get the oil absorbed. I would never consider using Renaissance Wax on a using salad bowl or something that would be expected to be washed, but consider additional oiling in future for maintenance. At SWAT several years ago, I asked Mike about using the Walnut Oil Wax, and he did not give it a big play for general use but just to improve the luster for dry use.

Thomas,

Renaissance Wax is a food safe finish. The following is from Picreator the manufacturer of Renaissance Wax.

Thank you for your enquiry. Renaissance is a blend of food-grade waxes and
    is safe in most types of use in the kitchen. However, I would hesitate to
    use the wax or any chemical on a surface which is in direct contact with
    your mouth. I doubt if any harm would result from accidental ingestion of
    some of the (dry) wax but, please use utmost discretion!! And, of course,
    keep the can well out of small children's access. Generally, the use
    of Renaissance wax to seal porous surfaces (wood, soft stone etc) is ideal
    and will not darken the original colour

I hope these comments will assist you
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

I use Drs Workshop walnut oil or Mahoney's. I put a coat on then wipe off the excess and let it dry for 24 hrs. I put a second coat on after 20 minutes wipe off the excess and let that dry for a week sitting it where it can get sunlight or ambient sunlight as Mike suggested I do. I have plates and salad/cereal bowls that have never been a problem. I have never had a customer come back with a complaint. I always tell them after a year of use or when it starts to look dry to reoil it.

I definitely would not use Renaissance Wax on any utility pieces especially being refined from crude oil.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the replies so far! I think I was putting on too much oil and like Ted suggested may have not waited long enough to apply the wax. I had a little walnut dish that I saved from the fireplace today that I'm using for a test. I'm trying Ted's method to see how it comes out. I also would still never use Ren wax on anything I designate as food safe. I can't open the can anywhere in the house without my wife complaining about the smell! "What is that smell??? Oh, it's that stuff!!! What is that???"