Thread: Second NIP

Second NIP

This is the second piece of Norfolk Island Pine that I picked up at the Virginia Symposium. Unlike the first, this had the branches in a single plane so I was able to get the classic star pattern. I turned this one thinner, 1/16" at the rim up to about 3/16" at the base. Soaked in a 50/50 mix of BLO and mineral spirits, in for 24 hours, out for 24 hours for a couple weeks to get the translucence. Finished with WOP. C+C appreciated as always.

IMG_1706.JPGIMG_1700.JPGIMG_1701.JPG

2. Stellar finish! Looks like caramel colored glass..........one has to love the star figure of the limb pockets........your orientation of the wood to be able to catch that is what makes the form along with the wonderful finish........First class Bob! Even though it is an "attaboy" this one is deserving of it!

I like pedestal forms and this one is nice.......as far as the size of the foot on this, there could have been a little more taken from the pedestal near the bottom of the bowl....it would have given more flare to the form, but the footprint itself makes it look stable, which is what you want with a pedestal form, not a tippy one!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I agree with Roger. Great use of the wood and wonderful finish and as he says I think it might have looked just a little less bottom heavy if the top of the pedestal was just a shade thinner.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

That's a simply beautiful chunk of wood and you did a very good job with it.

Beautiful piece.
    I have a question.
    It seems to break all the rules for avoiding wood splitting given that it's turned from a full round section of a log. How do you keep a piece like that from splitting as it dries?
    Rodney

Beautiful piece of work. I had a thought, Cosco sells some under counter puck lights that are 3-1/2 inches in dia, take 2 AAA batteries and have 5 LED lights and they are wireless. I have no idea if they would fit in your base. This set up may provide an interesting effect on your bowl.

Bob,

You did an good job with the NIP branches, translucene, and general form. How does it look on a glass shelf with overhead light? Don's suggestion of a base light might really add, but the base looks a little thicker and less translucent. I have always admired the NIP that you see in Hawaii and have tried a couple of pieces from HI and some dead NIP picked up at SWAT a couple of years ago. Never had the success getting translucent look.

very nice.....

Thanks all for the kind comments. Definitely a unique material to work with. I don't have much access to it but will definitely give it a try again when I can. You're right, proper lighting can really make the difference with these pieces. My base is a bit too thick so would have to go with top lighting on mine.

Still a breath taking piece Bob!

Very well done,I have to try that wood sometime. It is different then other types of pine ? Does it have much resin in it? Nice work!

You took a wood that most people would consider "plain" and made it stunning!!!!.........The colors are so rich and warm!! I love it!

That is a beautiful piece of wood. And very well done on the form it amazes me how thin you turned that.

That's a beautiful bowl Bob! The foot may be a tad big but I think it works and gives it a very stable look. I love how you achieved the star pattern and the finish is top notch!
    I've got a piece of NIP that I've been wanting to get to, but there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to turn all I want to turn!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work. Good job keeping the pattern. I like the form, foot and all. It shows off the translucence very well.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary