Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidor questions

Humidor questions

I had a friend ask me last week to build him a humidor. I was thinking something like a small box size. Well after speaking with him this weekend, he wants a HUMIDOR! He basically wants something like the 2 pictured below. I want to build the single door but he's leaning to the double door.

double door.jpgsingle door.jpg

I have never done a humidor nor have I ever had a humidor. I have been doing my research and see I need to take these into account:

1. Spanish Cedar Lining
    2. Tight seal
    3. Humidifier
    4. Hygrometer
    5. Slots in the shelves for ventilation

The questions I have are the following, but before I ask I want you to know that I am doing this on a budget. He is not an avid cigar smoker but thinks humidors look really cool and he wants one for his living room and I want to do it because if it turns out nice then I would like to market them in my refinishing business.

1. Can I use a weatherstrip type sealing for the doors and strong magnets to hold the doors shut in order to provide the seal? (tongue and groove joinery was my choice to have an air tight seal with the wood)
    2. What is the thinnest I can go with and be ok with the cedar lining? I have heard 1/4.
    3. Will it hurt to have metal full extension drawer slides inside?
    4. I also see all these Boveda humidor packs for humidity, are these good or does someone have a suggestion for a humdifier?
    5. Is there a certain spot inside that is better than another for humidifer or packs? (ie top, bottom, drawer?)

Any brands or anything anyone has suggestions on as well for how to build, hardware, humidifers, hygrometers, etc... would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Anyone? Bueller?

Hi, Joe.
    I'm getting ready to build a humidor for myself, so am hoping to see the answers to your questions. Based on my research, however, I wonder whether you need something bigger than humidity packs for a humidor as large as you intend. The one I'm going to build will be smaller, but still large enough that I felt the need to get an electronic humidifier. Here's the one I bought: Can't tell you how well it works, but the reviews were good.
    A few years ago I made a desk-top humidor. Lined it with spanish cedar I resawed to 1/4 inch. Seems to work well.
    Looking forward to more answers.

I own a small humidor - about the size of two shoe boxes sitting next to one another. I use some gel humidity pellets to keep it at the right humidity (they absorb humidity over a certain amount and release it if the humidity drops). I have to add water about every two weeks.

There's no way humidity packs would be sufficient for anything as large as you're thinking .... you really need a little humidifier unit. They are not that expensive, but you'll have to design a spot for it.

Thanks guys, yeah I was looking at that same Electronic humidifier Greg. That one and a few others that price range. Mark, I agree with you that I need a humidifier. I haven't used the gel packs obviously, but my thoughts were they would be insufficient for one that size. Hope some of these humidor builders can shed some true light on this. Don't want to build something that big that won't work...

As far as humidification devices go, it's something of a personal choice amongst cigar smokers. Some prefer one type, others, something else. If you plan to market these, a serious cigar smoker might appreciate options.
    Something else to keep in mind-the volume of the box itself. The examples that you show appear to be rather large humidors, and may require multiple units.
    I'd find a large, well stocked smoke shop in your area with a knowledgeable staff to speak with and find out what devices are available.

As an aside, my first encounter with milling spanish cedar was miserable. Admittedly there was little to no dust control with the equipment I was using - and the fine dust that kicked up got into my clothes, hair and skin, and it seemed to take a month to get the pungent order of the stuff out of my brian. Not a wonderful virgin experience.

Bill Wyko produces some ridiculously beautiful humidors! You might try PM'ing him for some support. The finish on his humidors is out of this world.

You've gotten the help on the humidifier, I'll comment on the rest. You can use standard drawer slides, but they will probably have to be replaced in a few years. Be careful on the install to not nick the zinc or epoxy coating, and they will last longer. Humidity is high in these things. 1/4 spanish cedar should be fine, but I would use a small ship lap joint where the pieces meet. The door will be a big issue. The ones in the pic seem pretty light duty. If you use strong magnets, the door will flex. I would use a silicone bulb seal for the door weatherstripping. http://www.architecturalresourcecent...her-stripping/
    and seal the glass into the frame with clear silicone. Make the glass either laminated or tempered if it will sit on the floor. My favorite statement these days, especially when a "friend" asks for something that he can buy from a catalog. "that I am doing this on a budget". Ain't it always that way. "Build me this super duper built to the nines cabinet, but can you do it cheaply?" NO!

Richard, I totally agree with the cost. I showed him a rough estimate of the large ones and he had a 5 second heart attack. We are now looking at this style:

images.jpg

Still a full size but now the humidor is a bit smaller (actually making that section a little shorter than pictured). Thanks for the other tips. I was looking at something along the lines of that same bulb weatherstripping just this morning. Thanks for the other tips as well guys, might have to PM Wyko and see if I can pick his brain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    .....I showed him a rough estimate of the large ones and he had a 5 second heart attack.....
    If you don't mind, I'd like to know how much you told him.

First thing to consider, a glass door on a humidor is not good. Second in reference to spanish cedar. If you use a mahogany you won't need it. The history of cigars goes that Cuba was predominant in the cigar industry and shipped all their cigars in spanish cedar boxes. Thus everyone fills they need spanish cedar for a humidor. The fact is, spanish cedar was the type of wood they had on hand to build the boxes. But you will never convince anyone they do not need spanish cedar in a humidor. If you do use it, make sure you use a shellac between the outer box and the spanish cedar or it will begin to bleed some real ugly black stuff.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to know how much you told him.
    It was about $1500 for the large cabinet and $900 for the smaller. Not a lot to some people but I know he's not wealthy. He didn't realize how much materials themselves cost. We don't have a good lumber mill around here so I have to drive 4 hours away to find some good lumber at good price so that's $150 in gas and a hotel stay for a night included in that. But just today I found a local business owner that also owns a saw mill that can get what I need delivered at no extra charge. So we saved a bunch today by going smaller, smaller humidor, and local lumber supplier. Looking at the $600 range now, mostly materials. I'm not charging much for labor to help him out. I don't mind helping good friends and gets more pieces of mine out there to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    First thing to consider, a glass door on a humidor is not good.
    Bob
    Bob, I see tons of humidors with glass doors. Why wouldn't that be good for it if it is sealed in rail and stile doors? I have also heard exactly what you just stated about mahogany. But the price is about the same for both and I like the look of the lighter cedar and a dark cabinet. I have also heard of sealing it before putting in the cedar as well, mainly just to be air tight.

The ones you see are mostly retail which shows the cigars to potential customers. The light comming through the glass will play havoc with both the humidity and temp. inside the humidor. If you ever stood in front of a window when the sun was shinning in you would notice the extra heat. It also effects the tobacco.

Bob