Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besides Corn, what should we see in Iowa?

Besides Corn, what should we see in Iowa?

We are planning a trip to Kansas City this summer to visit family. The Iowa route is about the same as the St. Louis route and we want to stop at John Deere in Moline on the way. We'd probably leave on a Friday and make it most of the way to Moline that night. We could take up to a couple days to get to KC if desired. What's worth seeing in Iowa? We drove through Iowa when I was in high school and there was seriously a LOT of corn there!

Is it worth timing our travels to make it to The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines? Its a few blocks off the freeway right on the way it looks. LOML jr has a friend who moved to Des Moines so we'll probably be making a stop there for at least a meal regarless.

We'll probably take the Missouri route home and visit family and maybe my boss in the St. Louis area on the return trip. I lobbied for a via-Springfield route and LOML asked if that meant we should take the truck instead of the car. That sounds like an invitation, doesn't it? (but seriously, driving the car and having something shipped would actually be cheaper.)

Soybeans!.

Most years I can go to the back of my own property and see those all day long!

I should mention, we'd be going I-80 to I-35 if that wasn't obvious.

Blog Entries
    I recommend visiting the Merchants' National Bank in Grinnell, Iowa if you are interested in Architecture. It was designed by Louis Sullivan. Another place might be the Des Moines Art Center. It has wings by three eminant Architects: Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei, and Richard Meier. It also has a nice collection.

just a thought.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Tha Amana Colonies (about 1/2 hr west of Iowa Cities off of I80) are a nice stop ... great food and they have a blacksmith and woodworking shop there too. I believe there is also a big hand tool show there this spring.

Blog Entries
    Also Pella Iowa. The largest windmill operated mill in the US.
    The Little Brown Church (in the Vail) is also a nice stop, but a little out of the way.

Howard Garner

People don't normally go to Iowa ,ON PURPOSE, to see stuff.

KC on the other hand has amazing barbeque

The Woodsmith Store is something you should stop and see. It has all kinds of tools you dream about having. You could stop by my place and see the over 200 antique scrollsaws I have here. The collection has been in a few magazines in the past. I am about 6 miles from the Woodsmith store, 3 miles off the interstate.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

I agree with most of the other suggestions as an Iowa native (now living in Oklahoma).

A couple I would add:

1. Iowa 80 truck stop (worlds largest). Sounds silly but this place is Huge and has stuff you never thought you would see at a truck stop.
    2. Jethro's BBQ Restaurant in Des Moines (recently featured on United States of Bacon).
    3. Living History Farms in Urbandale. They have old school black smiths and wood working going on. You will have to check the schedule on thier website.
    4. The Machine Shed Restaurant (also featured on United States of Bacon). Don't go for the Bacon there, get the Iowa Chop.
    5. The Des Moines Botanical Gardens.
    6. The capital building in Des Moines is one of the most beautiful in the Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We are planning a trip to Kansas City this summer to visit family. The Iowa route is about the same as the St. Louis route and we want to stop at John Deere in Moline on the way. We'd probably leave on a Friday and make it most of the way to Moline that night. We could take up to a couple days to get to KC if desired. What's worth seeing in Iowa? We drove through Iowa when I was in high school and there was seriously a LOT of corn there!

Is it worth timing our travels to make it to The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines? Its a few blocks off the freeway right on the way it looks. LOML jr has a friend who moved to Des Moines so we'll probably be making a stop there for at least a meal regarless.

We'll probably take the Missouri route home and visit family and maybe my boss in the St. Louis area on the return trip. I lobbied for a via-Springfield route and LOML asked if that meant we should take the truck instead of the car. That sounds like an invitation, doesn't it? (but seriously, driving the car and having something shipped would actually be cheaper.)
    Hi Matt,

I live in Ames which is 30 mi. north of Des Moines. IMO, I would suggest stopping at the Amana Colonies which is only about 30 north off I-80 between IA City and Des Moines. Although there are several colonies, Amana is the center of attraction with a lot of shops. FYI, I'm quite certain they closed the woodworking shop a while back (as they had an auction). None-the-less, you can get tourist info by contacting them or the tourism dept. at the State of IA. Living History Farms on the Northwest corner of Des Moines is a big attraction. IMO, I wouldn't waste time at the Woodsmith Store. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful store (I bought my Sawstop and joiner there), but it's just a store with good quality tools, etc. If you're a baseball fan, the Bob Feller Hall of Fame is west of DM a few miles (although I've not been there, I plan to someday). If I think of more good suggestions, I'll let you know.

Miss Iowa. Saw her on TV. She's pretty!

If you have enough spare time, the covered bridges in Madison Country (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison...overed_bridges) are also nice, if you're into the heavy timber kinda thing. Just West of Des Moines around Winterset.

I believe Wood Magazine headquarters is in Des Moines also and they invite people to stop by.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

John Deere!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Unlike the enormous facsimile featured on Billy Connolly's Route 66,
    this one is functional...

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/iowa/rocker.htm