Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic boxes

Plastic boxes

I'm cleaning up my shop and I noticed that I have about 10 to 12 plastic boxes. They came from tools that I have bought. You know saws drills and sanders. My question is what do you do with them? Keep them or recycle them. I don't keep my tools in them they take up to much room. Besides I would never be able to find them so I was just wondering what does everyone do with them?

I put mine in the attic so when I sell a tool, yea right, I have the box to send it in.

Kinda hard for me to pull the trigger and actually trash the plastic containers. I actually keep the smaller tools like jigsaw, nailers, ros, dremel, etc in the boxes and then in drawers. To some degree, this helps keep associated parts/accessories together as well. I don't use them every day or even every week, but, if I did, I might adopt a difference perspective, and have the tools out on shelves ready to work. The larger boxes for the circ saw, router kit, etc I keep in a store room, just in case I need to take the tool on the road, or move, etc. And as Steve mentioned, if I were to ever sell the tool (I'm snickering about that even as I type), then it would help that cause.

Since I don't have a use for the boxes, I toss them.

You may be able to sell them on Ebay to contractors who pack their tools in a truck.............Rod.

I have sold two on ebay for $10 (probably more trouble than it is worth), cut the partitions out of one to use as a brief case (too much work to be practical) and recycled the rest.

Blog Entries
    Since I sometimes travel to my kids homes and help them with their projects, I find the boxes work well for insuring that I take all the accessories with me to the job site. My jig saw, hammer drill and multi tool all stay in their plastic containers, which stack nicely in a drawer. My soldering iron and propane torch also reside in boxes so I don't have to search for their accessories when I need to use them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

i usually store them in the attic but iv been thinking about dumping them.
    but in the back of my mind is that if i sell the tool it would be nice to have the box

I will sometimes leave them on the sidewalk or hallway of my building. They're always gone by the next day.

Normally I have been finding a corner to store the cases in. In general, since a vast majority of my work was in the shop, the tools were in the shop cabinets. I retired 6 months ago and have started to do volunteer work at other peoples homes. Then I needed and bought a Dewalt Impact Driver. It came in a plastic case that had metal clips to hold the case shut. I got out my Dremel multitool with a offset word cutting blace and cut out most to the internal moulded dividers. This left me with a sturdy plastic case where I can put much of my drill and driver bits.

As long as the case is sturdy and will last you can always repurpose it.
    Wood'N'Scout

In the past I've always kept them, since I tended to move quite often. But now that the wife and I have settled into our last house, I may get rid of them to free up some space in the shop... still debating that though. LOL

A red one that came with one of my Milwaukee 12V drills was the perfect size for a first aid kit in my Jeep. Other than that, I have about a dozen that I will probably give away someday. Just taking up space.

The only one I actually use to store a tool is the box that came with my DeWalt track saw system. I call it my 'De-tainer'.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by jim vancampen View Post
    I will sometimes leave them on the sidewalk or hallway of my building. They're always gone by the next day.

Now that's clever!!

the plastic boxes is good if the tool comes with a handfull of tools for your drill or what ever

I throw them from a fast moving car on a lonely road late at night...............

Oh, wait, that was Ed Zern. I've kept mine up until now, but thinking about tossing them so as to have more room in which to put more crap................
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Recycle bin for me. Just no room and if I take a tool out of the shop it goes in a tool tote I made with all I need for that job. But I rarely take them out of the shop.