Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    I got a set of these from LV a few years ago. Decent scissors and I stay out of trouble with the wife.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...t=1,64488&ap=1
    I use those as well, extremely sharp................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Am I the only one ever accused of stealing his wife's scissors when for some unknown and inexplicable reason they materialize in the shop?
    OH NO, I NEVER go near my wife's scissors . . . . .especially NOT since I found her bidding on ebay for Lorena Bobbitt's (remember John Wayne Bobbitt) used scissors . . . . . some things are just not worth risking. It is also why I now sleep with one eye open.

Nope, don't want her connecting the dots or making any association between being mad at me and the possible uses she could make of the scissors.

I bought 4 pair of Gingher heavy duty looking scissors at a huge flea market in Hillsville, Va. about 5 years ago. Got them 2/$25. Best deal I ever got at a flea market. They will cut anything short of a 2 x 4. Have them spread around the shop but would have a pair every 5 ft if I could find more.

Jim

When I worked in a pattern shop, I got a pair of Wiss shears with hardened blades. They were used by the plasticians for cutting fibreglas and carbon fiber matting.
    They fit my big hands too. Cost about $60 in the early 70's, no idea what they cost now.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have a gingher 5" knife edge and the Fiskars 10" tailor shears. Both are great scissors. If I had to have one all purpose scissor then I would buy the orange handle 8" classic fiskars. They are cheaper than the ginghers and more comfortable to use. The ginghers have that nice snap-on chrome feel to them when brand new though.

I've broken 2 of the harbor freight scissors, though they do work.

My heavy duty scissors I use the Wiss 10 1/2” Compound Action All-purpose Cutter. I can cut card board, plastic, gaskets, etc...

Remember to only cut steel wire with the right cutter. I've notched the knife edge of a pair of knipex.

Safety Warning: My friend's 3 year old twins got into granny's quilting cupboard and the one lost the first jiont of his index finger!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    My wife is not a seamstress so she has no good scissors. But as a kid, I made the mistake of using my Mom's dressmaker's shears for cutting paper and boy did I get it. They must have been sharpened by those same horns.
    I made that mistake a long time ago too. She had a bunch of orange-handled Fiskars scissors that looked identical but one was the "good" pair and one was not. I accidentally picked up the "good" pair to cut up some rags and definitely got chewed out. My wife sews as well and I don't touch her scissors. I generally use a utility knife for doing my cutting but also have a pair of my own cheap scissors that I use to cut up rags when I need them to be approximately square (such as for making rifle cleaning patches.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Surgical scissors. Much more manly to know that they can cut through flesh, and other assorted body parts.
    About the only surgical scissors that can cut through much at once would be a pair of trauma shears. The others are generally made for delicate work (iris scissors) to average kind of work (Mayos and Metzes.) A new or newish pair of sterilizable OR-grade surgical scissors would be a very nice thing to have at home but they are extremely expensive unless you steal them from the hospital. (Don't do that.) You can often pick up disposable or pretty close to disposable grade stuff inexpensively though. Forceps are also very handy too.

I've got several pairs of scissors in the shop including some big Wiss industrial carpet/tailor shears, ~14" and real sharp.