Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Scissors

Shop Scissors

What brand or type of good heavy-duty shop scissors do you folks use? Am I the only one ever accused of stealing his wife's scissors when for some unknown and inexplicable reason they materialize in the shop?

I use the FREE ones from HF in my shop. They are priced just right!!!

Nope, you are not alone. I like to "borrow" my wife's Wustof's kitchen shears too, they are so easy to find! Ought to just buy a set of them.

http://thebestthings.com/knives/grap...ears5558-1.jpg

Only $20.

Lee valley
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...t=1,64488&ap=1
    I call em EMT scissors they cut most everything I need them to including 1/8" thick leather for vise jaws
    Last edited by Dan Lee; 02-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Whatever you do, don't use your wife's sewing scissors, as they are sharpened using the horn of a magic unicorn, and using them on anything but fabric will render them completely worthless.

DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 02-05-2013 at 8:49 AM.

I use a pair of Gingher sewing scissors that I've had for over 20 years. And no they aren't the wife's either... that's right, I'm a bro and I sew (every man should, it's a good skill to learn).

They cost me about $30 back in the day, but they're self-sharpening (so no unicorns to hunt down) and worth every penny. In fact, I bought another pair just for fabric, because you never know what will happen to tools in the shop. ;D

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Whatever you do, don't use your wife's sewing scissors, as they are sharpened using the horns of a magic unicorn, and using them on anything but fabric will render them completely worthless.

DAMHIKT.
    My wife is not a seamstress so she has no good scissors. But as a kid, I made the mistake of using my Mom's dressmaker's shears for cutting paper and boy did I get it. They must have been sharpened by those same horns.

Today I use a pair I got from Lie-Nielsen a few years back. Think they were still U.S. made when I got mine.

I have two pair. One is a very HD set I got at Home Depot a couple years ago. They work fine, but are very awkward to use, and the keep closed tang is always in the way. The other pair I use is from the 99 cent store. Use them all the time, including cutting sandpaper. 3 years old or so, and still cutting. They are all plastic, with thin strips of stainless steel for the cutters.

Rick Potter

I got a set of these from LV a few years ago. Decent scissors and I stay out of trouble with the wife.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...t=1,64488&ap=1

Surgical scissors. Much more manly to know that they can cut through flesh, and other assorted body parts.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Whatever you do, don't use your wife's sewing scissors, as they are sharpened using the horns of a magic unicorn, and using them on anything but fabric will render them completely worthless.

DAMHIKT.
    Listen closely to our brother; woe betide any man that dare lay grimy hands on scissors, pointy sticks or string in the Wife's sanctum.
    The retribution may not be swift, but she knows where we sleep...

knitting_pinback_will_trade_husbands_tools_for_yarn_button_badge_pin_7bbe56a2.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have a pack of 3 sizes that came from the BORG with extra heavy blades. They are Fisker-like but oversized. I have a half dozen or so of the free ones Harbor Freight is always giving coupons for. For cloth work I have a 100 year old pair of long shears that's been handed down (I'm the third generation to use them). These give me a selection to use based on the job at hand.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use Klein electrician scissors. They're tough, sharp and fairly cheap.
    Duc in altum!

Haven't seen it mentioned here but wifey's scissors actually also present an opportunity to score a few points. Plenty of us have sharpening skills, and the reason she's so paranoid about her scissors is so they don't get dull (well, nicks in them is a bummer too). But any cutting implement gets dull. In fact, her scissors are probably dull right now and she doesn't even realize it. Soooo, maybe a little sharpening party could be in order. If the scissors are of reasonable quality, give 'em a pass or two on your sharpening setup. Just make sure you really know what you're doing when it comes to scissor sharpening, first. I've sharpened a couple of my wife's pair, and scored some big points.

Whatever you do, don't use your wife's sewing scissors, as they are sharpened using the horn of a magic unicorn, and using them on anything but fabric will render them completely worthless.

DAMHIKT.

I can back this comment but only because your wife will also kill you for touching them.
    Measure once, cut twice, burn the evidence.