Thread: Mortise Pal - Question

Mortise Pal - Question

I am pretty sure I am going to get a Mortise Pal. I have a question on the distance from the outside to the outside of the two rails the router runs on and the distance from the inside to the inside of the rails. I need to know so I know if my DeWalt 611 compact router will span the distance or if I will need to get a larger sub base for the plunge base.

Will a 1.25 hp router that only takes 1/4" shank bits be powerful enough for slot mortising?

Thanks

George
    Last edited by George Bokros; 02-05-2013 at 6:42 PM.

It's hard work for a router with so much end grain cutting. I use a Festool of 1400 with the 1/2 white side bits with my mp and have cut 60 mortises straight. I think you need a bigger router.

I have the older one and I can adjust the outer supports.

I do think you will need a little more router and 1/2" shank bits to really use it.

Hopefully 1 3/4 hp Milwaukee will do it. That is the only other router I have that isn't table mounted. I do not want to take my PC 3 1/4 hp out of the table, too much hassle.

George

You can take multiple, light passes to work around any limitations from your motor hp.

However, the 1/4" shank may limit your depth of cut. The mortise pal is ~ 9/16" thick, so you'll need to extend your bit that far below your base just to get started cutting.

I've always used a 1/2" shank and a spiral upcut bit with mine. Works well.

Matt