Thread: Anyone have a Grizzly G0700 slider?

Anyone have a Grizzly G0700 slider?

I'm looking for some physical dimensions for the crosscut fence, specifically, the dimensions of the T-Slot bar in the aluminum sliding table. Looking to put this on a different slider and of course, customer service doesn't have access to physical dimensions. Thanks - Ryan

I just went out and measured the bar.

Bottom Width 1.185
    Top Width .60
    Bottom Side .317
    Top Side .130
    Shoulder Width .114

Hope that helps

Al

Al, thanks a million, so the opening at the "top" of the t-slot is only .60 wide? I haven't put a mic on mine yet, but a 3/4" miter bar has plenty of slop in mine. Guess I'll have to keep digging or have a custom piece of T-slot milled and just plop an Incra head on it. Ryan

HI Ryan

The standard 3/4" miter gauge will not fit. Way to big. Even though the mic read .60 I think it is closer to 5/8" but even that will not drop into the opening. We are talking only about the top opening aren't we?

I was trying to think of a way to get an Incra miter gauge to work too but gave up and ordered a miter gauge made for sliding table saws from Laguna. It is pricey but has great detail built into it.

What kind of saw do you own?

Al

Al, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think it would be tough to machine a new bar for an Incra head to mount on, but that'd be a lot of money for something that would spend the vast majority of it's life locked at 90 degrees. My saw is a Wadkin SP12. It has a HUGE table and outrigger that take up WAY too much space in my shop so I'm looking to strip down to the aluminum sliding table plus a miter guage with about 30" of capacity. Incra sells a telescoping fence (36-64") that I've got my eye on, just need to figure out how to lock it into the t-slot. I'll have to check out the Laguna offerings. Thanks - Ryan

but that'd be a lot of money for something that would spend the vast majority of it's life locked at 90 degrees.

True it is a lot of money but....it will lock at a TRUE 90 degrees. The miter gauge that came with my saw has a tendency to move just a "squish" when you are tightening it down. That "squish" is not acceptable which is why I started looking for a better miter gauge. As far as the sliding table saw itself, I would never go back to a cabinet saw.

Al

I looked at a big Wadkins slider locally about 10 years ago and decided that not only was it too big to put into my shop but likely too big for me to move. Unlike most modern sliders it was much wider than it was long.

I have a Laguna TSS and the slots in the sliding table are 16mm wide.

Hi Bill

I did not know about the Laguna TSS when I purchased this saw. I think they are pretty close in capacity but most sliders have this issue when setting the miter gauge. Laguna's after market fence looks to be just the thing.
    When you say the slot is 16mm wide are you measuring the top opening or the bottom opening? I have talked to Rick at laguna and he has measured the opening and thinks it will work on the G0700. If not I will have the Grizzly bar drilled and tapped and use it.

Al

Just ran it though a converter and 16mm = 5/8". That is just about what the slot in the Grizzly fence is.
    Last edited by Al Bacon; 02-09-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Ryan
    Not to high jack this thread but how do you like your Grizzly GO700 slider?

Bob

Hi Bob

Ryan doesn't have a Grizzly. He has a Wadkin SP12. I have a Grizzly G0700 slider. There is a learning curve to these saws but once you get the hang of them there are great.

Thank Al
    I think for the money you can't beat that saw. I would sure like to have one but money seem's to be a problem.

Bob

Hi Al,

How are you liking your G0700? I'm contemplating this saw. I like the smaller footprint (compared to the G0623x) but the lack of an outrigger table/extension of any kind makes me wonder how stable it is for crosscutting panels. The miter gauge looks pretty flimsy (compared to the G0623x).

Thanks!
    Charlton

Hi Charlton

This is a really great saw. You are correct in that the mite gauge leaves a lot to be desired. That said, after a suggestion from an other member with this saw, I now use a 8" Wixey Protractor to set up the miter gauge when I need it. There is an added advantage of knowing just how spot on you really are.
    For most panels, that is panels used for cabinets, this saw will handle them just fine. You can't break down a full sheet of plywood on it but if you do that often you might look at the 623. I don't know if the out riggers come off easily but if they do that might be a better option.

This is one of the best purchases I have made for the shop.

Al

Thanks, Al. I'm not actually the interested in breaking down sheet goods as normally I do that with a circular saw. In fact, I don't even need huge crosscut capacity which is why the G0700 is appealing. The lack of the outrigger would be my only concern (say if I were to crosscut a heavy piece of timber). I'd probably want to have some extension table mounted to the slider but I don't know how much weight it could actually handle.

Cheers,
    Charlton