Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser tape

Laser tape

I have been using the green ikonics laser tape .I just tryed the rayzist red tape and it seems tougher and pliable.Any opinions of these?
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reinhard View Post
    I have been using the green ikonics laser tape .I just tryed the rayzist red tape and it seems tougher and pliable.Any opinions of these?
    Jim What is Laser tape what is it used for. When I google it I get laser tape measures, I don't think this is what you have.

I have a red/orange tape made by Specialty Tapes and purchased from Johnson Plastics. It is fairly rugged stuff and will not stretch. At the moment I can't remember why I bought it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have a red/orange tape made by Specialty Tapes and purchased from Johnson Plastics. It is fairly rugged stuff and will not stretch. At the moment I can't remember why I bought it.
    Sounds like Kapton...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Jim it is tape used to make a pattern to sand blast with
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

It goes on then you engrave the pattern .Then you sand blast .If you go to ikonics or the razist web site you can see it.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

I just use the transfer tape first, then cover it with
    Duck HP260. Holds up well to heavy blasting and it's cheap
    enough.

EDIT:
    I scrub the transfer tape iin with a steel brush or the side
    of a wooden stick to get a good seal with the substrate.
    (I use a modeling clay tool like a burnisher) and if the
    material is something like slate .. very uneven, I'll spray
    some Krylon matte finish onto a towel and rub that into the
    surface to give a better grip to the tape.
    Last edited by Chuck Stone; 02-06-2013 at 7:02 PM.

I also use tranfer tape for some of my stuff but when it comes to the smaller more intracat text like edwardian scrypt I use the tape for better detail.
    I did e-mail rayzist and asked if there were any sales or discounts so there price would be closer to ickonics ,But have not heard back from them yet.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

I love the laser tape from Ikonics! I think I go through around 3 100' rolls a month. When researching the tapes I received samples from rayzist and Ikonics and I thought Ikonics was better. The main reason was clean up went much faster with the Ikonics tape, I still have some tough cleaning on certain glass but its still better and cheaper than Rayzist.

I can also blast at 60 psi with no issues or lift offs. I have even used this on stone pieces I have done, the adhesive is great! I also get amazing detail with it.

Good luck!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    I love the laser tape from Ikonics! I think I go through around 3 100' rolls a month. When researching the tapes I received samples from rayzist and Ikonics and I thought Ikonics was better. The main reason was clean up went much faster with the Ikonics tape, I still have some tough cleaning on certain glass but its still better and cheaper than Rayzist.

I can also blast at 60 psi with no issues or lift offs. I have even used this on stone pieces I have done, the adhesive is great! I also get amazing detail with it.

Good luck!
    Do you do curved items with it like flutes.I tried to pull out the wrinkles and it seems to pull back when I engrave . The small sample of rayzist tape it didnt do that .But I had the sample piece for a almost a year and wonder it it was because it was getting dried out.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    Good luck!
    I'm blasting stone with 125-150 psi. I was getting lift without the matte spray, though.
    The brush gets the tape into textured areas.

I do curves with it, when doing wine glasses I try to avoid the "bowl" of the glass as much as possible to help with wrinkles etc. If your mask is pulling back you may be stretching it around the piece, I would try to work it onto the glass as smoothly as possible with no stretching. You should be able to see where the mask will lay flat from there remove the carrier sheet and gently press the tape down around the piece without stretching it, you will see wrinkles starting to form and the trick is to chase them to the outer edge as much as possible. My masking never looks pretty the whole way around, only smooth area is where the pattern will be.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

I use con-tack brand shelf liner works great I blast at 50psi no problems
    VLS 4.60 50W,rotary

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I just use the transfer tape first, then cover it with
    Duck HP260. Holds up well to heavy blasting and it's cheap
    enough.
    Isn't that tape PVC based??
    George

I prefer rayzist red to iconics green. The iconics stretches a lot which can be good on a wine glass but I have had nothing but trouble getting the release to do just that. I have rec'd new samples several times to make sure it was not "old". I have some dated black rayzist that still releases easily. Raysizst has sales quite often ; sign up on their website for the specials. I also have a rayzist cabinet that is just wonderful..I do very detailed blasting usually at 30 psi and have no lift off challenges .
    hth, nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet