Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversing and crossing volutes

Reversing and crossing volutes

another of my signature negative space designs. this one is bleached. Copper center about 10 inches in diameter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful and striking in that whiteness! The copper center really adds a bit of interest and focus to it. Cool!!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Another fine looking piece, Michelle. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I really like the copper centers. My one criticism would be the mix of sharp and round edges in the middle of the piece... where the router bit changes direction, I would hand cut the outer corner to make it square like the inner corner. Other than that, I really like the piece.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Your assesment is incorrect, Dan. But I understand you dislike the "circles" If I disliked them, I would rasp them out. But I like them, so they stay.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

My first impression would have agreed with Dan, but then I saw the unexpected series of circles formed where the front and back reversals occur. Nice! If you had cut them square they would have been just another set of spaces, now they are special.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Mick, this is a winner! I really like the bleached wood and expecially the copper center. It all came together well in this one. One thing that struck me is the same as Thom, the intentional of unintentional round corners where the router switched directions...WORKS! Straight on I really liked it when my eye scanned the piece and found the small circle patterns created by that.

Nice work.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

hi Scott: yep, I like the look too as the points "point" to the circles. It just gives the piece another point of interest..it takes some of the rigidity out of it. Geos are so hard to do. The eyes see any "error" or discrepancy. I wanted folks eyes to go to the circles, and points.

looks like an et to me, going other worldly Michelle? very nice
    spiders only have 8 legs......

I have no idea how you do these things but they are really cool.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Really a beauty Michelle. I like the copper highlight in the middle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

charlie :-) I've always traveled a different path, & maybe I can time warp to another world? :-) It sure would give me new ideas for my pieces!!

I like it. I agree that the bleached wood/copper are a nice combo. Your designes are really neat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Your assesment is incorrect, Dan.
    I've had plenty of people tell me my facts were wrong... can't say anyone has ever told me my opinion was.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

didn't say your opinion was...I said your assesment of my methods was. Your opinion about the circles was ok, as I said. I had a design that I wanted circles there & I put them there with a drill..it also helped index the piece. So there was a reason to my art eye to have it as it is..if your art eye dislikes it, then that is an opinion.