Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade sharpeing services in the Greenville, SC area

Question Blade sharpeing services in the Greenville, SC area

Any Creekers in the area know of or used any local sharpening services?

While I'm at it, is a Freud combo blade worth having sharpened? I don't remember the model (and am not in the shop) but I picked it up a few years ago at Woodcraft on sale for about $60 if that helps.

Thanks.

Farris Precision in Summerville is excellent - don't know how close that is.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    Farris Precision in Summerville is excellent - don't know how close that is.
    Thanks Tom but that's a bit far. I'm in the upstate of SC and Farris Precision is near Charleston, about 200mi away.

I think I remember seeing 'Crawford Saw and Tool' in Greer listed on the Greenville Woodworker's Guild website, but I've never actually been there. Crawford's website says they offer sharpening services for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sidwell View Post
    I think I remember seeing 'Crawford Saw and Tool' in Greer listed on the Greenville Woodworker's Guild website, but I've never actually been there. Crawford's website says they offer sharpening services for tools.
    Occasionally the local woodworking club here in Louisville has a panel of our senior members share their wisdom in a Q&A session. I’ve yet to hear them recommend a local establishment for sharpening services—what a shame the locals are getting ripped-off. Make sure you get a recommendation from someone who’s actually used the sharpening service recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Occasionally the local woodworking club here in Louisville has a panel of our senior members share their wisdom in a Q&A session. I’ve yet to hear them recommend a local establishment for sharpening services—what a shame the locals are getting ripped-off. Make sure you get a recommendation from someone who’s actually used the sharpening service recently.
    Harry, thanks for the heads up but they already have it.

I had some extra time this afternoon and since they are less than eight miles from my house, I ran the blade over there. They charge $14 for a 50 tooth blade and use a CNC. Hopefully they do a good job. Since the local woodworkers guild references them on their website (as mentioned by John above) I feel pretty comfortable with it. I'll find out soon since they said it would be ready by lunchtime this Friday. I've never had a blade sharpened before so I hope I can tell the difference when cutting. We'll see. Is there anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll post back once I've made a few cuts with it.

John,

Let me know what you find out! I have a couple blades that needs sharpening...

Ben...in Simpsonville...

Except for my Forrest WWII blades, I take planer blades, shaper inserts, saw blades to Woodcraft on Miller Road in Greenville. Whoever does the actual work does a good job, reasonably priced.
    Chris

I had an old Freud combo blade, a Freud dado set and some router bits sharpened a few months ago. I took them to Woodcraft in Greenville. I don't know who sharpened them. I left them and picked them up a week later. I am well pleased with the job they did.

Paul
    Last edited by paul dyar; 02-06-2013 at 7:23 PM.

Hello SC guys!....I'll vouch for Crawford's in Greer.....I personally haven't used them yet (I have a Freud blade that needs resharpening too) but the company I worked for years ago (The Tool Shed) used them all the time (shops would leave blades that needed sharpening at the store and Bill would come by and pick them up....) I've never heard of any problems with them...and Bill is one of the nicest guy's you'll ever meet!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

While we have the SC guys here, anybody know of a local sawmill with decent cherry?

Ben,

It's not a sawmill but I know the Wurth Group on hwy 101 has cherry and I've heard it's decent stuff at a reasonable price. Not rough sawn though in case that's what you're looking for. They carry mostly cabinet supplies and materials (ie lot's of cabinet grade plywood and hardwood stock).

Be advised that the location finder on their site takes you to the wrong location. They are just north off 85 on hwy 101. Type this in Google maps and it will give the correct location - 'Wurth Group, Greer, SC 29652'

http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com

WOW. Not sure if this is good or bad but I just got a call from Crawford Saw and Tool and the blade is ready. Still can't pick it up until tomorrow but it's at least good to know they don't sit on it for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    Any Creekers in the area know of or used any local sharpening services?

While I'm at it, is a Freud combo blade worth having sharpened? I don't remember the model (and am not in the shop) but I picked it up a few years ago at Woodcraft on sale for about $60 if that helps.

Thanks.
    Blades should be resharpened by professional but have you tried doing it by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    Blades should be resharpened by professional but have you tried doing it by yourself?
    With all those small carbide teeth... No way.