Thread: Window Box Planter Question

Window Box Planter Question

My daughter wants me to build her one of those window box planters. The planter needs to be about 42 inches long and 7 inches deep and the width needs to be around 7 in also. She is going to place her plants in 32 oz coffee cans. I'll make 2 planters.

What would you recommend in terms of building material. I'd like to go with boards rather than plywood since the nearest marine plywood dealer is a pretty good distance from me. I have a pretty good range of choices available from a local lumber company. I've been thinking about cedar, redwood, or white oak. These planters will be painted. I'd hope to just go with poplar but am worried about its durability.

depends where you live, in the swamp previously known as the pacific northwest, the normal choice is cedar, (redwood got too expensive). As a durability reference, painted and maintained cedar will last practically forever, unpainted in this climate 4-6 years.

I live in Murfreesboro, TN, about 35 miles from Nashville. Big temp range (15-100, not uncommon) and high humidity in summer. I'm leaning toward cedar. I wish poplar would work. Cheap and I've got quite a bit on hand. Never bought cedar but I suspect it's not too expensive.

I made our planter boxes out of used decking. Since it's painted, I filled the nail holes with epoxy.

Best of all, the wood was free.

I like the idea of using cans to hold the planets.

I bought a plastic tray that sets inside of our planters.

I didn't need to make a bottom for the planter box. . The plastic tray already has one.

Bill