Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balcony / Library Ladder that can be stored in a horizontal position.

Balcony / Library Ladder that can be stored in a horizontal position.

This is what I call a "balcony ladder". It is similar to the library ladders of old.

The hinge is made from 2" brass rail parts. The steps are held in place with 1/4" solid brass dowel that is threaded on the ends and fastened by brass acorn nuts with a solid brass knob backplate as the washer.

The ladder legs are 5/4" popular that have been band sawn to create the bow. The steps are mortised into the legs.

When not in use, a piano hinged shelf on the opposite wall flips up, and after the ladder is above it, drops down to support the ladder for horizontal storage. When people see it in this position the "Wow Factor" kicks in big time. A pulley system could be constructed using 1/4" sash cord and pulleys to support it from the ceiling instead of using a shelf.

The braces below 3 of the steps are intended to minimize racking - 3 sets seems to be the optinum number. They are not nesessariy meant to support weight - although they do.

Please note this is a repost of a reply I made to a post in General Woodworking and Power Tools - I felt it more appropriate in Woodworking Projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 02-07-2013 at 9:12 AM.

I love it.
    It could be just me, but it makes me think of modern sail boats.
    Don't ask why, I know not.

Beautiful.
    My hobby is life.

Striking! That is spectacular.

I must be missing something obvious, but how does the ladder "get past" the shelf to put it up there?

And is there a reason that only three of the steps have braces?

Beautiful idea! I do like it!

Very pretty - a little weird with the hanging off the other wall but that doesn't detract - it's a great piece of work.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Nice work indeed.
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    I must be missing something obvious, but how does the ladder "get past" the shelf to put it up there?

And is there a reason that only three of the steps have braces?

Beautiful idea! I do like it!
    Thomas, I modified the post to better answer your questions - thanks for asking them.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 02-06-2013 at 7:57 PM.

Very nice. It's too bad that whoever walks into that room through the door will have bad luck! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hillenburg View Post
    Thomas, I modified the post to better answer your questions - thanks for asking them.
    Ok, I knew I was missing something there. I believe I can see a joint along the back of the shelf? So the front swings up and the back inch or so remains in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Ok, I knew I was missing something there. I believe I can see a joint along the back of the shelf? So the front swings up and the back inch or so remains in place.
    Thomas, that is correct. You are seeing the joint on the edge of the shelf. The back 1 1/4" of the shelf is fastened to the shelf bracket and the rest of the shelf swings up via a piano hinge.

Kewel idea and really interesting execution. The curve is very elegant whether it's down for use or propped up for "storage".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really like the curves and the hardware really meshes nicely

Clever design. Excellent craftsmanship. I've built several loft ladders over the years. None as nice as this!

Andrew, thanks for the nice complement.

Very cool! I'm thinking of building something similar to replace my way ugly cabin pull down stairs to the loft. How long was the build?