Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Signature Medallions **PICS

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Experimental Signature Medallions **PICS

My nephew visited me several weeks ago from PA. While in my shop he noticed my laser engraved wooden signature medallions. He asked how much I had to pay for them and said why don't you make a mold and cast some from colored plastic. The reproduction cost would be much less and you could make as many as you want when you want em.

Now since David is the President of Polytek Development Corp which specializes in liquid mold rubbers and casting plastics I figured he must know what he is talking about.

He took 2 of my cherry medallions back to PA with him. A week later I received a package containing a rubber mold, some samples from the mold, liquid rubber molding material, plastic casting material, release agent and a few dyes to color plastics prior to molding.

The very very flexible rubber mold for 1¼" and 1½" medallions:

On the left is the 2 cherry medallions the mold was made from. The right 2 are molded medallions which were wipped with shoe polish (1 black/1 brown) to highlight the details. To my surprise, the molded ones revealed much morre detail than I expected. You can actually see some defects in the wooden master revealed in the molded one. The bottom one is actually a plain white plastic one (you can't see the engraving in the pic - but take my word for it - it's there)

This close up shows the defects transferred from the wooden medallions to the casted ones. I was amazed at the finite details of the casted items.

I plan on getting Keith to laser engrave some "masters" from something like aluminum or corian, etc void of surface defects so I can make multple cavity molds and pour colored plastic to make wood-like medallions.

I believe I can improve on the process and produce a very nice "Signature Medallion"

Please do not ask what the material costs are because I don't really know since my materials were free gratis from my nephew Once I perfect the process I will do a cost analysis and report that to you.

If this process works out like I think it will I have already imagined some other applications.

The experiment will continue when I return from the Swap Meet
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-03-2005 at 5:33 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Very Nice Ken,

I would recommend Corian for the mold masters. Corian would be smooth and provide a perfect defect free material.

Aaron and I attended the 5th annual ShopBot Jamboree in Durham North Carolina last week and one of the short training seminars was about making production masters and molds with the ShopBot. The whole event was very informative but I have to admit the idea of making molds is interesting and presents a whole new area of capability.

I can't wait to see your samples at the SwapMeet.

Ken, they do look very nice! Being able to make them yourself would be a great advantage!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Why? I think the ones made from the wood look really good, defects and all. Personally, I'd stick with them.

Ken, that is an interesting idea and I am sure others, including me would want to do this if the cost and the process is reasonable.
    Jerry

Ken,
    How permanent will the black lettering be?

I'm guessing you 'enhanced' it with magic marker or maybe a paint pen for the photos?

The plastic pieces are nice, but since your work is <B>real</B> wood, I really think the medallions would be more pleasing in real wood, too.

I would like to talk to you more when you get back and everything settles down for both of us. I have done a bit of this when I had the prototype shop.

Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Arceneaux
    Why? I think the ones made from the wood look really good, defects and all. Personally, I'd stick with them.
    Agree - they do look fine -- they a'int cheap though
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    Ken,
    How permanent will the black lettering be?

I'm guessing you 'enhanced' it with magic marker or maybe a paint pen for the photos?

The plastic pieces are nice, but since your work is <B>real</B> wood, I really think the medallions would be more pleasing in real wood, too.
    The 2 shown just had shoe polish rubbed in to fill the letters, etc. I plan on trying magic markers, ink, and some other stuff later.

There is another way

Ken,

Is there some reason you haven't gotten a branding iron?

Try this link http://www.brandish.com/about_branding_irons.html

If you want to make one yourself, you could have Keith laser you a metal reverse medalion. It may cost 5 or 10 times the laser etching of wood. But once you mount it on a handle and heat it with a torch, you can make as many medalions as you want or brand the piece directly.

Just a thought.

By the way I received 2.5 tons of Red and Blue Corian from duPont for the Freedom Pen Project. Keith is laying out a web page for ordering. They said I would get 4 boxes. They did not tell me that each one was over a thousand pounds. We gotta get everyone making pens. I figure there are almost 60,000 pens in there.

Have a great day
    Ken
    "And now for something completely different..."

Smile medallions

Great idea Ken ...kudos to your nephew. Two technologies collide and produce great results. Keep us posted.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph
    Ken,

Is there some reason you haven't gotten a branding iron?

Try this link http://www.brandish.com/about_branding_irons.html

If you want to make one yourself, you could have Keith laser you a metal reverse medalion. It may cost 5 or 10 times the laser etching of wood. But once you mount it on a handle and heat it with a torch, you can make as many medalions as you want or brand the piece directly.

Just a thought.

Have a great day
    Ken
    I do have an electric branding iron which is rectangular that I have used for more than 20 years. Doesn't fit well on round stuff. Hence, the round medallions which I put in a recessed hole making them just under flush with the surface.

You do have a good idea though and I will talk with Keith about it when I am at the Swap Meet. The main problem is I can only work on one experiment at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    The 2 shown just had shoe polish rubbed in to fill the letters, etc. I plan on trying magic markers, ink, and some other stuff later.
    What about a quick shot of black spray paint, then sand off the surface? That would probably be more permanent than the other methods.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    What about a quick shot of black spray paint, then sand off the surface? That would probably be more permanent than the other methods.
    I plan on trying that as soon as I can make some more discs - after the swap meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Agree - they do look fine -- they a'int cheap though
    Not sure what you mean by "..ain't cheap.." but it does seem to be a shame to take a beautifully hand-turned wooden bowl or other item and stick a piece of plastic on it to save a few bucks. You do very nice work and are. I am sure, rightfully proud of it!!! Somehow, a chunk of plastic seems out of place??