Thread: 18" vs 24"

18" vs 24"

We're debating between purchasing an 18" x 12" unit, or a 24" x 12" unit. We're not looking to do production work, as our primary line of business is screen printing and embroidery. Have any owners of 18" units regretted going small, or have you found 18" pretty much handles all of your engraving/cutting needs? Have any owners of 24" units found that maybe an 18" unit would have more than adequately filled your needs? The price difference between the two units in our case is about $4K.

Thanks for your input.

I have an Epilog mini 24. It has a 12" x 24" bed in it. This has done most projects but I have had to turn down several because it is not large enough. So I figure I would get the biggest and most powerful one you can afford.
    size= larger projects Power= jobs done faster
    Shane Black

Epilog Mini 24 40 watt, Corel x5

My GCC is 38 * 20 and I am thankful every day for that fact. The other thing I'm grateful for is that it is a pass through design. I can't tell you how many jobs I would have had to turn away if not for both of those features. Spend the money now and you won't have to re-spend later.

Gary

If pricing is an issue, don't overlook used machines. I saved around 50% on a laser that was used maybe a dozen times. Granted you are not likely to find that good of a deal, there are some savings to be had.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I definitely recommend the larger size. I also have a 12x24 and can use a bigger one often, can't imagine trying to get by with anything smaller.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I bought a 24" for my first laser and within a year had to get a 36", would've been cheaper to go larger from the start. If you can swing bigger or more powerful it is worth it!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Think about material sizes too. Most engraving plastics come in 12" x 24" sheets (quarter sheet). So you'd have to open the box, cut 6" off the material just to get it to fit into a 12" x 18" machine. If you're not engraving that type of material, it wouldn't matter, but it deserves consideration.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I am with Scott, material sizes would lead me to the 12x24.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Assuming you are not going with a Chinese machine I would suggest getting as big of an engraving area and as much power as you can afford. You can always do small projects in the big machine but you can't do big projects in the small machine. My biggest CO2 is 55 watts with a 18x32 bed and nearly every week I wish it was just a bit bigger or had just a bit more power.

If you are looking at a Chinese machine you may not want to get as much power as you can afford. It sounds like some of the imports have a problem with running at less than 10% power so are unable to do some delicate work, especially if it is over 100 watts. (I don't own a Chinese machine, what I know about them I learned second hand so my information may not be accurate on them.)
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I had a Mini 18X12 and I have a 24x18 Helix. Acquiring a laser machine is related to investment capacity and the need for it. If economic posibidades get a laser machine, it is best to be as large as possible to move it through the doors of the shop or office (eg 24x18) and the wattage as you can afford. If you buy a 18X12, with the highest laser power that it allows either a broader workbench that is not a limitation according to the needs. I feel good with a Helix 24x18, 60 watt.
    Roger Leiva (CR) Helix 24, 60 Watt.