Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" or 12" Joiner

8" or 12" Joiner

Hi folks,
    Looking for opinions on an 8" vs a 12" joiner. I've read several comments about guys starting out with a 6", only to realize that they should've started with an 8". I'm trying to avoid that problem in starting with an 8" and having to move to a 12". In working with desk tops, tables, cabinets and bookcase type projects, would an 8" suit me fine and a 12" just be over the top?

Thank you

From what I always read, if you have a 6", you want a 8". If you have a 8", then you want a 12", 16", 24". I have a 12 and I think that it is the perfect size.

Steve

It depends on what you will be using it for. I have a 16" jointer that is 100" long. I very seldom run anything wider than 6", but I often work with lumber lumber 12' to 16' long.
    I also have a 8" jointer that I use for the smaller parts. If there was an 8" jointer with 100" tables, I would have it instead of the 16" jointer.

I went from an 8" jointer to a 12" jointer/planer, couldn't be happier.............Rod.

I have a 12" sitting in storage because I found a 16" so you know where i stand. Used 12" are a good value. It is not only the long tables but the big long fence that you will appreciate and the footprint is pretty much the same as the 8". If you have a taste for used look at the 12" Porter Chuck Hess has for sale on Woodweb or his site at www.hesswoodwork.com Dave

I'm one of those who bought a 6" then realized I wanted the 12" and then upgraded. I now have what I wanted, but ended up costing more buying 2 of them. I use a log of 9" material. I would love a 16" but don't need it that often or have room for it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boothe View Post
    Hi folks,
    Looking for opinions on an 8" vs a 12" joiner. I've read several comments about guys starting out with a 6", only to realize that they should've started with an 8". I'm trying to avoid that problem in starting with an 8" and having to move to a 12". In working with desk tops, tables, cabinets and bookcase type projects, would an 8" suit me fine and a 12" just be over the top?

Thank you
    I'm one of those guys with a 6" craving something larger. If space wasn't a factor, I'd go for a 12". I get lots of boards that are 9-10" wide, but very few that are more than 12".

Money and space limits me to 8". Well that and the fact that 8" covers probably 95% of my needs.

As wide as your shop and budget can handle. I have a 10-1/4" and it's not too wide IMO. For me, the short bed 12" ones would be perfect, but I can't get one down into my basement shop.

John

12" is nice at the very least for the weight it adds, and that covers a good deal of the lumber you may encounter or need to flatten full width anyway. I get by with an 8" and a good jack plane, but a 12" would be vastly preferable to me.

I think 8" is a good all around size and if you buy it used it would be tough to lose money if you upgrade in the future. Now having said that I love having a 16" jointer as there's rarely a time when I have to wonder if a board will fit through my jointer. Notice I said "rarely"......b/c if the right 20" jointer came along.....

JeffD

8" or 12"

If you can find a good used machine, starting with an 8" is a great way to go. And if you find you need to trade up, you should be able to sell it for close to what you pay for it. I have an 8" an it covers most of my current efforts.

I got a 12 because I often need to flatten boards over 8 inches. I'ts been really rare that I needed to joint something over 12 in.

I had 6" and no way was I paying the upgrade money to only get an 8". Went 12" and I love it. I have a lot of wood 8-10" and not only that I get a lot of area to evenly wear my blades when I have smaller wood.

Be advised though a 12" jointer is NO joke - This is not a take top off and you and a buddy take it downstairs tool! Better have some equipment around. Mine shipped in one piece! DJ30.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I found "most" things I wanted to do exceeded 6". Now "most" things I want to do are fine on the 8". If I could have fit a 12" in the shop, I would have. A few decisions of mine have been space related rather than price related. I wanted a 3HP cyclone but, I would not have been able to set it up without gutting the shop for a remodel. A 12" jointer doesn't take up that much more room than an 8" but, in my shop, where the jointer stands, it was a no-go. A great tool is of no use if it is so cumbersome to use that it sets idle.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler