Thread: Old Oliver Wood Lathe

Old Oliver Wood Lathe

OK, so I bought this thing a few years back and it has been a boat anchor in my shop ever since. I'm debating on what to do with this thing, since it is taking up valuable space and I'm just not in to the turning thing right now. Now, I think it is a 159 series, but it doesn't have the large metal wheel sticking out the drive end. I don't know if it's missing it, or this is a different model. Any ideas?

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf62700a3.jpg

Also, when the speed control is placed to the stop position, the lathe doesn't actually stop. Is there a micro switch somewhere that needs to be replaced/fixed?

So, trying to figure out which lathe I have and how much of a pain to fix the stop function.

Just "turning" things over in my mind.

Thanks

This may not be the proper forum for this, so please move if need be.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 02-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Nice looking lathe. It has a lot of potential. I think you'll find a lot of answers over at Old Wood Working Machinery (owwm dot com).

That ol piece isn't worth anything, I'd gladly haul it off for you. Those Oliver lathes are pretty widely reputed to be some of the best reeves drive lathes out there. The only thing I'd ad to Dave's comment is that owwm is dot "org" - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    The only thing I'd ad to Dave's comment is that owwm is dot "org" - Ryan
    Thanks, Ryan. I keep forgetting that. Of course, OWWM dot COM will re-direct to Vintage Machinery, which isn't a bad place to go, either. Lots of Oliver info there, too.

I like how it starts at l000 rpms, nice looking old lathe.

l think someone put a 120 motor on in place of a 3 phase. You might have to wire in your own switch, or make sure there is not one hidden somewhere. (Probably not)
    Thanks,
    Tony

The Oliver Lathe was possibly built in Grand Rapids MI. Recently on Craig's list there was a post of an Oliver Lathe that had been reconditioned by Oliver. It was beautiful. I think they are still in business in GR and you might want to contact them.
    http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/Oliver_1.htm
    Last edited by Ronald Campbell; 02-08-2013 at 9:57 AM.

The old Oliver lathes came with 220v 3 phase motors, usually a 1hp on the 159. If you understand the electronics of Electronic Variable Speed controllers you can hook one up on the 3 phase motor and have a lathe that turns from 0 rpm to the max of the reeves drive around 2200 rpm. But like Anthony pointed out, that isn't the original motor on that lathe so it probably is either a 120v or 220v single phase motor. Because so many of them were converted from production work to hobby use before the EVS controllers were available, they usually have the motor changed to a single phase motor. The minimum speed is around 700-800 with the handle in the stop position. Everyone I've ever seen has had the switch removed that actually stops the lathe in that position. But other than that, that's probably as sturdy and well built of a lathe as you can find, good old American made iron. I turn almost everyday on an Oliver 2159 which is the same lathe but with a 14" swing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well I might trade it for a big Robust, Vicmarc, or Oneway but only for the increased swing.
    Oliver 159 lathe.jpg

l 2nd curt, if you can find the room and think you might want to get into turning someday, it is a real nice lathe.
    Just run a switch loop up to the hot wire.
    In case you never had a reeves drive, don't turn the speed control unless the lathe is running.
    You don't really have to turn it to stop to stop and start it with your added on switch.

Mark, did you ever do anything with the oliver lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    OK, so I bought this thing a few years back and it has been a boat anchor in my shop ever since. I'm debating on what to do with this thing, since it is taking up valuable space and I'm just not in to the turning thing right now. Now, I think it is a 159 series, but it doesn't have the large metal wheel sticking out the drive end. I don't know if it's missing it, or this is a different model. Any ideas?

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf62700a3.jpg

Also, when the speed control is placed to the stop position, the lathe doesn't actually stop. Is there a micro switch somewhere that needs to be replaced/fixed?

So, trying to figure out which lathe I have and how much of a pain to fix the stop function.

Just "turning" things over in my mind.

Thanks

This may not be the proper forum for this, so please move if need be.
    Ya know, maybe its not my place to say this, as I am not here a lot recently, but it really burns me up when a photo bucket photo is place here, or a link, and it's deleted.
    Were you out of room at photo bucket.
    Pictures can be hosted here you are aware, then they stay here,
    To me, for future reference, this thread is useless!
    Sorry if I am out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    The old Oliver lathes came with 220v 3 phase motors, usually a 1hp on the 159. If you understand the electronics of Electronic Variable Speed controllers you can hook one up on the 3 phase motor and have a lathe that turns from 0 rpm to the max of the reeves drive around 2200 rpm. But like Anthony pointed out, that isn't the original motor on that lathe so it probably is either a 120v or 220v single phase motor. Because so many of them were converted from production work to hobby use before the EVS controllers were available, they usually have the motor changed to a single phase motor. The minimum speed is around 700-800 with the handle in the stop position. Everyone I've ever seen has had the switch removed that actually stops the lathe in that position. But other than that, that's probably as sturdy and well built of a lathe as you can find, good old American made iron. I turn almost everyday on an Oliver 2159 which is the same lathe but with a 14" swing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well I might trade it for a big Robust, Vicmarc, or Oneway but only for the increased swing.
    Oliver 159 lathe.jpg
    see how nice, photo hosted here, photo still here.