Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kezuroukai, Planing Competition Finals 2012

1. David,
    That's my point. A sub thousand shaving from a Well tuned Stanley plane and a very sharp iron isn't that hard to do. If you hollowed the sole of your plane and pulled a few other tricks planing a sub thou shaving for eight or so feet would also be pretty doable. Of course that would make the plane useless for actual woodworking.
    I think there is a fair amount of skill in getting a wooden plane to make a sub thou shaving full width six of eight feet long, especially so in a contest environment. but it's not magic or anything you or anyone else who is skilled could not do if you put your mind to it.
    -----
    Owner
    Tools for Working Wood

Ok Joel, let's raise the stakes. How about a 3 micrometer shaving? That's about a tenth of a tau.

azuma3.JPG

You can read all about it in this blog: http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.nl/2...on-ground.html
    He also explains in a series of blogs how Japanese planes are being setup, and what makes them such great tools. It's a pitty I am allready too deep into western stuff and don't really have time or money to start of on this tangent.
    http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.nl/2...old-block.html

Blog Entries
    Lol... ok I'm starting to find it interesting - so I'm laughing at myself. I wonder if the competition feeds this and keeps it alive
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 02-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Interesting to see the comments.

With the standard width planes, the guys are using standard manmade waterstones to sharpen. Many, but certainly not all, use natural finishing stones.

Sharpening isn't the hardest part, IMO, rather setting up the dai and adjusting the blade is a bitch since it has to be absolutely perfect. How do you judge half a thousandth inch by eyeball? Some skill there.

Those who find this sort of competition silly should reflect on their own involvement in sports, whether as participant or just viewer. At least planing has relevance to real world skills, unlike golf or basketball or bowling. If its fun, and everyone can have a beer afterwards, why not?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Interesting to see the comments.

Sharpening isn't the hardest part, IMO, rather setting up the dai and adjusting the blade is a bitch since it has to be absolutely perfect. How do you judge half a thousandth inch by eyeball? Some skill there.
    One must remember those things don't have depth adjusters or lateral levers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    If its fun, and everyone can have a beer afterwards, why not?
    Now that is a good way to think about most of life.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is fantastic competition. Thanks for sharing it. I have to say that some of the negative comments posted in this thread though, have been completely unexpected. Lots of envy IMO

You place such a huge value on your time, yet you find time to post multiple times about this issue? Seriously?

I think Sam Murdoch's point is on the mark; we live in a society that values cheap at the expsense of quality, and very few really place value on true craftsmanship anymore. As Sam T. pointed out, much of this reflects the tradition of building one's skills to exemplary levels and the emphasis that remains on true craftsman's skills. We should be so lucky to have a society that values that, instead we have a society that sees pursuit of perfection and honing one's skills as a waste of time, even among woodworkers. Ironic really.

I don't see that as ironic actually, nor do I see any skilled craftsmanship. The only connection between that and actual woodworking is that real woodworkers use that same tool to actually produce something of value.
    Not knocking it really and I believe in competition of all types, but let's not confuse honing a lifelong craft with some contrived parlor trick.

A competition involving an activity that not the vast majority of the people can do, or have the patience and drive to put in the time to practice to the point where they could offer up stiff competition sounds very familiar. Its no different than professional sports, eating competitions, or just about anything else in the guiness book of records. Its enjoyable to some and may even broaden the understanding of some folks of what humans are capable of. To others, its a waste of time and doesn't offer much meaning. I guess the same could be said about the time we all spent logging into this website, watching the video, and commenting. Its all in good fun, and if you aren't having fun, move on to something that will make your day better. I personally thought it was very neat. And I think beer was mentioned earlier, Id love to share one with you folks .

Great video! Thanks for posting
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio