Thread: radiation with laser door open ?

radiation with laser door open ?

out of curiosity, if for some reason I might someday need to do a job to large to fit in my machine and I'd have to leave the front door open and use magnets to bypass the safety, about how much radiation would I be exposed too or should I just leave the room till it has finished ?

Thanks

It's not a microwave. In fact that's why you can take the sides off the Epilog and stick a bat in one end and out the other. Just don't stick your fingers in there while it's running, and do stay back, there could be a reflection or malfunction that deflects the beam and gets you. Only the beam is dangerous. It would also be a violation of OSHA to defeat a safety device, so don't let an employee do it, and if there was an accident, your insurer might deny your claim.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm the only one that operates it and I might be getting into engraving frames to large to fit so I might have to prop the front hatch open, if I could only figure our a way to put a hidden switch on it to easily rig it instead of magnets

Thanks

Trace the wires coming from the magnets to the motherboard , use a switch to make the circuits tween em when you want to do the door open thing.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I run mine without the front panel maybe 50% of the time (machine pre-dates magnets on the front panel).
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I run mine with the top open (for small repetitive items) and with the front door open whenever I need the space.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Given the damage a laser, particularly a 30 watt rated or more laser can do to your eyes I would certainly
    wear protective eyewear for the specific wavelength you are using. Retinal damage can happen darn fast
    and often not recovered. The interlocks were placed on the machines not to just protect the ignorant but
    also those of us who may forget we left it running. (I am guilty as charged) The machine represents a
    substantial financial investment, margins are tight and one wishes to recoup every last penny, but ......
    What are your eyes worth? YMMV.

And I would certainly NOT leave the room when it is running with the door open! Stand back, yes, but leave? No!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Moore View Post
    Given the damage a laser, particularly a 30 watt rated or more laser can do to your eyes I would certainly
    wear protective eyewear for the specific wavelength you are using. Retinal damage can happen darn fast
    and often not recovered.
    Just put on some safety glasses if you're going to run with the door open. Polycarbonate does a great job of blocking the 10.6um laser (and yes, I can back that statement up with scientific research ). In fact, just about any standard lens is probably sufficient, and definitely better than nothing. As a note, though, it'd be really hard to get retinal damage from one of these lasers. The eye is completely opaque at this wavelength, so all the energy would get deposited in the cornea. I've worked in labs with lasers closer to the visible, and you definitely need to be more careful with choosing eyewear for those wavelengths, because the laser can pass into the eye and be refocused on the retina, but in the mid-infrared the dangers are different.

I did get a dose of "radiation" from our open-bed 400W system last week when I cut aluminum for the first time. The beam must have reflected off the surface in just the right (or the wrong?) way to briefly give me a heat-lamp feeling on my face. The beam diverges so quickly with the short focal length lenses that these reflections aren't a big deal. Just don't try working on anything with a concave surface, like a spoon, that might re-focus the beam .
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Turner (physics) View Post
    As a note, though, it'd be really hard to get retinal damage from one of these lasers. The eye is completely opaque at this wavelength, so all the energy would get deposited in the cornea.
    Corneal damage is just as problematic, just so newbies don't get the wrong impression.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

11. A 400watt laser is just a teensy weensy more powerful that our 70watt jobs. I run with the lid open 60% of the time. I've nicked myself a couple of times and its not such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Corneal damage is just as problematic, just so newbies don't get the wrong impression.
    Right--the cornea is actually about 2/3 the focusing power of the eye, which is why laser surgeries can be effective (with ~1W lasers...).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Mine is open a lot as it runs. Never had a problem and the family likes my glow at night too. Helps them see in low light.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.