Thread: walnut dresser

walnut dresser

This is my first dresser project and first time hand cutting dove tails. I would have done a few things differently however I am happy with it overall. The sides of the drawers are butternut. The client wanted these nobs which are maple that I had stained would have been nice to turn some but there it is!
    I will get some better pictures of it on a nice sunny day since the low lighting and flash doesn't really do it justice!

Brady,
    Those dovetails look pretty darn good to me and I like the dresser design. It's simple and you can clean under it. Good job.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like the book matched grain in the side panels and the dovetails. Hopefully the front isn't as dark as it appears in the photo. Nice work. I'm sure it will be cherished for many years.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very nice. I like the book matched grain in the side panels and the dovetails. Hopefully the front isn't as dark as it appears in the photo. Nice work. I'm sure it will be cherished for many years.
    The front defiantly looks WAY darker in the picture. I will take some nicer shots of the 'details' when shes 100%. I am waiting for the top to fully cure so I can rub it out. Also, most of the walnut I used in this piece is from the same tree.
    I appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks

That is a nice piece of furniture. Like the wood choice! Wonderful job on it.

Very nice Brady!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

A very fine looking piece of furniture.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Swanky! Love your side panels and the chest overall is great. Walnut is my favorite!
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Nice job..good DT's...Walnut looks dark...How did you finish?
    Jerry

Hope you signed it. It will be an heirloom someday. Nicely done. Shows that you thought out the details.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks for the positive input fellahs. I would have to say that walnut is the Cadillac of lumber forsure!!
    And Terry it does appear to be quite dark from the lack of lighting and point and shoot camera, but I can assure you that its not that dark! I will get some good shots like I mentioned earlier.
    I finished the drawer fronts, the top, bottom and back splash detail with blo then polyurethane and the rest was a mixture of blo, tung, poly and thinner. Kinda winged it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Middaugh View Post
    The front defiantly looks WAY darker in the picture. I will take some nicer shots of the 'details' when shes 100%.
    Very nice dresser. Walnut makes a beautiful piece of furniture but, capturing that look can be elusive. Don't knock yourself out trying too hard to get the wood to appear on "film" the way it does to the living eye; it can be murder. Folks who have seen that almost watery chatoyance while passing a piece of walnut furniture know what you are trying to show them ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice job! Your dovetails look great, and for me anyway, I LIKE dark walnut, the darker and richer the better. Time will certainly lighten the color, but enjoy the deep hues while they last.