Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Soaking ceramic water stones (Stu's special set)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    Sure, they aren't expensive. You ought to give it a try. The corners can be used on certain sweeps and shapes of carving tools too.
    Yeah they're only like $25 bucks. I don't know why I've dragged my feet on buying one. Even if it did suck it would be far from the biggest waste of money I've put towards a woodworking product. It funny how I can be so loose with my woodworking money half the time, and such a friggin cheapskate other times (Woodworkers in general I think are a bit bipolar when it comes to spending). I just need to order one.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-12-2013 at 5:51 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Maybe I've missed something cause my stones have been soaking for years. Some I've had since the mid 80s and have only been out of water to make the 3 month journey to Australia. The minimum any of them have been in water is about 6 years. So why is soaking bad for them.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Maybe I've missed something cause my stones have been soaking for years. Some I've had since the mid 80s and have only been out of water to make the 3 month journey to Australia. The minimum any of them have been in water is about 6 years. So why is soaking bad for them.
    Its not. Some stone shouldn't permanently soaked (shaptons, choseras) as it can harm the binders, but many can be left in water seemingly indefinitely without any issue.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...