Thread: New CBN and new Robo Rest

Talking New CBN and new Robo Rest

OMG! If I had known what a difference this pair would make in my turning I'd have plunged a LONG time ago.

Sharp edge that holds. I am in awe at what it did to help my work.

Phil, I just glanced at a video with that pair. Can you do a fingernail grind with the Robo Rest?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I love mine to. If I knew I would have bought long ago. Yes Brian you can put a fingernail grind easily.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Phil, I just glanced at a video with that pair. Can you do a fingernail grind with the Robo Rest?
    Yes, but you have to swing it and know what you are doing, there is no "jig" involved.

If you want to see a simple way, look at the D-Way videos on sharpening and notice that Dave can use a wood block has a brace for his hands and does it that way.

Me, I'm not that good and 99% of the time I use a jig
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Those Robo Rests look pretty awesome, where can you get them? What's the price on them?

Quote Originally Posted by David Brimm View Post
    Those Robo Rests look pretty awesome, where can you get them? What's the price on them?

Contact Reed Gray on this forum (Robo Hippy on many others) as it is his product
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Will do, thanks!

I am trying to convert more turners to platform sharpening. It really is simple, and I do show it on one of my You Tube clips.

The finger nail grind, which I tend to think of as the 40/40 grind that Stuart Batty and Mike Mahoney use, is maybe medium difficulty. Scrapers and spindle roughing gouges are also pretty simple. With any sweep, you have to rotate the flutes sideways (from straight up and down, to all the way over on the side/90 degrees) as you pivot the gouge to the side. There are two etched lines at 40 degrees on the platform. You hold the tool the same way as you do when you turn, and move with your body, just the same way. The swept back grinds are a bit more difficult.

robo hippy

Hi Reed,

I tried sending you a message regarding the availability and price of a Robo Rest but not sure if it went through. At any rate I'm interested, if possible get back to me when you have a chance.

Thanks!
    Dave

I've been practicing a LOT. The YouTube videos from Reed help a lot ..getting better at that fingernail grind with every try. I love the idea of simply setting the angle and making the grind. I no longet think about a few more minutes before I grind ... I just grind.