Thread: Finish for Rosewood?

Finish for Rosewood?

I am just about done turning a nice piece of rosewood but I'm unsure what kind of finish to put on it. It has such a wonderful grain I don't want to mask it. The piece will be the top of a small box with a box elder lower part. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A friend of mine turned some rosewood he a allergic reaction . He looked like he had gotten into poison i vie he had to go to the Dr. and get shots and skin crime .He looked bad for a few for day.But I've never would turn any rosewood after I was what it did to him.Because of that I have never applied any kind of a finish to rosewood.

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing
    Ron - Been a "member" here for some time but haven't visited in ages. To your Q - There are a large number of Rosewoods. I've done a number of Honduras Rosewood pens and bottle stoppers. I've found it best to wipe the surface down with acetone or DNA to remove the natural oils. Quickly after that (for an item bigger than a pen body) I apply a seal coat of shellac. Finish coat that works best for me is lacquer (sprayed). The key seems to be the acetone. Without it (sometimes even with it) oil-based finishes such as polyurethane just don't cure. Good luck.

Many hard tropicals look great just buffed with compound and carnuba. It leaves the natural color and bueaty.

I use Penofin Rosewood oil on all the Rosewood family like IPe, and such. It gets deep into the dense grain and highlightes all the colors. Just my .02 worth.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I usually just buff and apply Ren wax.
    BTW, there are only two types of turners: those who are allergic to rosewood, and those who will become allergic to rosewood.

I just like to buff my cocobolo or sand with micromesh.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thanks for the prompt feedback, everyone. Great information.

I also appreciate the caveat about allergies. No issues yet, but I think my use of rosewood may become limited despite the wonderful color and grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sebring View Post
    BTW, there are only two types of turners: those who are allergic to rosewood, and those who will become allergic to rosewood.
    I always thought there were Three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

The rosewood family is so large that being sensitive to one growth, doesn't mean that you will be to every other. Rosewood casts quite a big net covering many of the Dalbergia family. So you might be sensitive to Brazilian Rosewood, but not East Indian Rosewood as they are two different strains of the same family. I found from finishing small objects that a rub polish is wonderful, or put on a bit of Ren wax.

Sounds good--tell us about Penofin oil and ant techniques ect. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    I use Penofin Rosewood oil on all the Rosewood family like IPe, and such. It gets deep into the dense grain and highlightes all the colors. Just my .02 worth.
    Rosewood is a name applied to species belonging to the dalbergia genus. Any of the numerous timbers commercially sold under the name ipe, none belong to the dalbergia genus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sebring View Post
    I usually just buff and apply Ren wax.
    If that statement were true, I must belong to the second category. I've been working with rosewoods for some 25 years with no reaction whatsoever and I've worked with Madagascar rosewood, Brazilian rosewood, Brazilian kingwood, cochen rosewood, Brazilian tulipwood, East Indian rosewood, African blackwood, cocobolo, Honduran rosewood and Amazonian rosewood.

Just polish, wax and buff.

Be especially careful about any oil based finish, which will often just result in a sticky mess that never really dries out.

Most rosewoods I just sand up thru micromesh and then buff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.