Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will SuperNova2 Chuck work on Midi Lathe

Will SuperNova2 Chuck work on Midi Lathe

Just purchased a SuperNova2 Chuck with extra Jaws to use on my current Midi lathe(PSI Turncrafterprovs).
    I havn,t open the box and now I am concerned that the chuck might be too heavy for my lathe.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    George Greer

generally one uses a smaller chuck..a smaller nova, the G-3 is very appropriate. I believe the issue is that a heavy chuck will wear out the bearings faster than a lighter one. Those big chucks take a lot of ooomph to start up!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I don't own a SuperNova2 chuck but I do have both the Oneway Talon and Stronghold, and would have no issue on using either on my GI Midi lathe. Having the extra weight will just improve the momentum that you have and help stabilise any vibration from out of balance wood when you are turning. If anything it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I believe the issue is that a heavy chuck will wear out the bearings faster than a lighter one.
    I thought that it's offset loads that would wear out a bearing. The large chuck is like adding a big flywheel onto the lathe so any of the offset balance is eaten up by the added in balance weight so it reduces the side load the bearings must take. That is why you'd add a flywheel to reduce vibration when doing off centre turnings.

I have used one on mine. Can't tell there have been any problems.

I use a Axminister Chuck in mine for the last 15 years. No problem. Carl

I have never really understood the argument that a large chuck is hard on a smaller lathe. The added 2 lbs., or so, is not much of a consideration when you are going to chuck up a 20 lb. piece of wood in it!

Have used an SN2 on my Rikon for years. My dad used the same rig before that.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

John your right, I don't think it would hurt. but I was under the impression that a Mini Lathe was for small stuff not logs. Just kidding but I used a SN on my 10-14 Jet and my Delta midi for years with no problems.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

10. I got the Delta 46-460 midi late last year.......I use my original Super Nova on it .....no problems. I also have some newer SN2's which if I needed, I would use with a spindle adapter [just because I do not like changing out the insert adapters in the chuck] it would not bother me in the least.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have been using a SN2 on a Delta 46-460 for three years. No sign of any problems so far. I don't think the weight would be an issue. Taking up more space on the bed length might be an issue as would a longer lever arm on forces applied to the headstock.

When I read the title to your post, I thought that maybe you had bought the wrong size or tpi. I've used a Oneway stronghold and Talon on my Jet mini with no problems. I haven't turned any large chunks on it though.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

George: I didn't make up the info I gave you off the top of my head..it came from 2 respected places. the manufacturer of a lathe I had years ago, and from a tech at craft supplies when i bought a chuck. The info could be wrong, sure. But i didn't make it up.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

George, most of us are not familiar with that lathe and you didn't state its throw or motor size.

I think the biggest issue would be the size of the motor. The current PSI offerings, Turncrafter Commander, have 3/4hp (10" lathe) and 1hp (12" lathe) motors. Some older minis had 1/2hp and smaller motors. Note that PSI's UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT motor is only 1/2 hp. Those smaller machines probably would not handle an SN2 due to its mass and length as they were designed more turning light items like pens, while the newer ones with a 3/4 hp or larger probably would have no problem as they were designed with small bowls and hollow forms in mind. That's just my opinion, though.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks to all replies about my SuperNova2 Chuck and I will hopefully make the right decision about its use.