9 15.25%
  • Keep a couple of each

48 81.36%
  • Sell them all,

1 1.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which size plane to keep??

Which size plane to keep??

This may have been asked before, at one time or the other. I seem to have an overabundance of small planes. Five are a #3 size, and four are the #4 size. In trying to keep the "til" as small as practicle, would I be better of sticking with the better #3s, and getting rid of the #4s? Would like to go from NINE smoothers, down to maybe a handful.

If I go with just the #3s, would I still need a #4 lurking in the til? Is there a setting for both sizes? Could I get by on just the #3s? This is from someone with three #5s and a 5-1/2 sitting in the till. Not to mention a pair of #6s.

For some reason, i seem to reach for the smaller planes first. Not sure IF it is a weight issue, ease of use issue, or ease of maintaining the edges? One of the #3s even has a "york' pitch it would seem. of almost 50 degrees. Might have to keep that one???

Would a poll about this work out? Or just start a fight? If it starts a fight, I won't do a poll. Just looking at a way to make things a bit better in my Dungeon ( CRAMPED!!) Shop...

Get a tally board.

Go make something small (less than a week project).
    Every tool used gets a notation, tick marks to indicate multiple usage.

I find that a 9" plane gets most use for my projects.
    I don't need a smoother, often - I now use a carbide scraper to do most of those tasks.

A good, sharp chisel is more often used than a block plane.

I never use a large panel joiner, It's just not something I need.

The tick marks will tell.

Just keep the best one of each size. The rest are just taking up space (or would in my shop).
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I'll fess up as being in the keep a couple of each camp. I'm assuming you haven't invested too much in these, and that you don't need to convert some tools to cash in order to purchase other "missing/I need that" tools.

My shop floor is concrete. I had the misfortune of knocking a block plane off of a bench only to see the lever cap break. Hopefully this will never happen to you, but should you break one of the three's or four's, you might kick yourself for having thinned your heard more than necessary.

I suggest you keep 2 of the 3's and 2 4's as smoothers. The 5's aren't really smoothers after all. Even if you did set them up as users, a 4 is more efficient. Of course, this is coming from someone who is well into double digits on all these sizes.

Blog Entries
    Over the past three or four years, I wanted to complete a "collection". I now have one in every size except the #1 - that's nice and all, but I'm considering the same thing as the OP. Even though they all work very well, it's time to cull the herd to a #4, #4 1/2, #5, #8 & #10. I can't see ever giving up any of my specialty planes but unlike others, never use a block plane.

I actually use two of each. When one gets dull, hits a knot, or just doesn't like its current task, I can reach for the other one without interrupting my work. I find that a blade always grows dull when I'm using it, not sitting in its cabinet ( to press the point ). Usually I want to keep working. I don't want to stop and walk over to the sharpening table.
    Russ

I wish I had the space to do what Russell suggests! I keep extra blades on hand for this reason.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Even though there are a few #4s in my shop, only two of them get most of the work. One is kept tuned for final smoothing and thin shavings. The other is for rough work and using outside the shop.

There is only one #3 in my shop, often have thought that it is a good size for a scrub plane. Currently my #3 is also set up for final smoothing. A #5-1/4 that suffered damage in a high school shop class (my best guess as to how it became so messed up) is used for a scrub plane and works great. Another 5-1/4, given to me by another Creeker works great as a junior jack.

The #5 is another size with good reasons to own multiple copies. Long smoother, short jointer, rough work and all around work. That's the story of why there are four in my shop and I'm sticking with it.

Most of the other sizes are well served by just having one of each, even though neither of my #6s will be kicked out soon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I voted for keeping the 4s because my meat hooks are almost too big for the 4 I have yet is small enough to do almost any task I need it to
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Hey Doug! I love your tag line!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Ok, as far as the #3 size planes in residence in the Dungeon Shop: a Millers Falls #8, type 4, a Union #3, type 2, a Hibbards #3 with the same type of tapered iron as the Union plane. A Stanley Handyman #1203. And a Dunlap #3 with a York Pitch Frog. There is also a Windsor #33 Scrub Plane. The Union, the Hibbards and the handyman are all about the same. The two with the tapered irons are a little better. A york Pitch frogged plane, for $8? Might be a keeper. So, I have a decision to make? Which to keep out of the five? The little scrub will stay.

The #4s in the shop is a little different story. Top of the line would be a Stanley #4c,type 11. It has issues with the tote bolt. Lots of pitting, too. It may go. Two almost indentical #4s a Handyman #1204, and a Companion #4. base colour is about the only difference. There is also a #4 By Worth. been swapping out the iron with a Parplus #5. The #4 iron is straight, the #5 is cambered. The Worth #4 and the Parplus#5 MAY go as a set. Almost a matched set, at that. A Union #4G was sold recently as a "Parts Plane". May go with the top "Twins" as keepers, as I can get see-through shavings out of either one.

The #5s: The parplus #5 as noted. There is a Handyman #1205, and a Bailey #5 in house. There is also a Union #5A (5-1/2 sized) as well. There is also a #6 and a #6c in house, as well as three block planes, and a #8c, type 9 jointer. Just a small stable, right? Kind of hard to get all of these into a single till, though. SDC14161.jpg But i try.....

For some reason it spoke to me 😁 sorry for using it without permission. Your x-men quote is one of my favorites though
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bowman View Post
    For some reason it spoke to me  sorry for using it without permission. Your x-men quote is one of my favorites though
    All good with me. As far as I'm concerned anything I or anyone else posts on a public forum is fair game for quoting.

I stole the x-man quote from here and just revamped it to fit my interest.

Keep two of each, 3s and 4s. Re-evaluate after a year based on usage. Actually, you could keep more if not sure.

I'm a little cautious because I once sold a #4 and have regretted it ever since. It was an old #4 Sweetheart that I had rescued and really cleaned up. It looked great. Took it to a woodworking show and Frank Klausz actually sharpened it for me. I didn't think before I acted. A guy came over to buy a hand brace and a few bits. Made me an offer on the plane and I took it.