Thread: Tool Suggestions for a noob

Tool Suggestions for a noob

While we were out at our local big box store this weekend, as we passed the books and magazines
    my wife commented that she might like to try her hand at carving.

Always one to make my wife happy (especially if it helps her see the importance of the right tool for the job),
    I told her that I would do some research and see what it would cost to get her started.

In doing that research I was amazed at the price differences in some of the tools.
    Now I'm no spring chicken so I am fully aware of "you get what you pay for" in most cases,
    I guess in a very long winded effort what I am asking is:

1) How much should we budget to get her a nice starter set up?
    2) Is there any must have items?
    3) What tools are suggested to try your hand at carving?

I'm leaning towards a cheap amazon set just to get her feet wet.
    Is that going to hinder her enjoyment?

Any other advice/pointers/suggestions are all welcome.

Thanks!

I would suggest you contact the nearest Woodcraft store. I think there is one in Leesburg, VA.

Woodcraft can give you tool advice and may offer begining carving classes. I think she will benefit by getting off to a good start with good tools. Heck, it's only money.

Who knows, you may find something in the store for yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted on her progress.

Bill

There are few things that need to be addressed

Wood carving tools need to be very sharp
    Good steel will stay sharper longer
    What type of things are you going to carve?

You can find some decent small gouges on ebay
    search for
    MILLERS FALLS NO. 106 CARVING TOOL SET
    good steel miller falls also have palm tools too
    Amazon does sell http://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-3-Knif...0599545&sr=1-2
    that wood give you a selection

Just for Your Info
    I love my PFEIL "Swiss Made"
    but they are spendy so I buy only the chisel I need for a project

Chisels are a hand tool so How they fit in your hand is a big consideration

Visit a club feel some others tools for what fits you and what you want to do
    take some lessons

http://www.woodburning.com/carving.asp#MD

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...=MD&wc=checked

enjoy!

Like the man said, a lot depends on what you want to carve and how big you want to carve! Chip carving can be done with just a few knives, and whitling and a lot of caricatures can be done with a few knives, although a gouge or three never hurts. Relief carving and architectural carvings may require a variety of gouges in different sizes and shapes. But it's all the extras that can start to add up! You'll need a way to sharpen your tools. which could range from sandpaper and honing compound to a variety of machines and diamond or water stones. Other tools like a bandsaw can be handy for cutting out blanks or a router for fast removal of different levels in a relief carving. Oh, you may want some safety equipment like a kevlar glove and something to wrap around your thumb. Maybe a dust mask or dust collector if you try power carving. Which can range from Dremels, flex shaft tools, and micromotors on up to air driven turbines requiring a compressor. And some also use a variety of vises and holding devices for larger carvings. So you can start by spending $20 up to several thousand (don't ask me how I know).

All of that said, I would suggest buying a glove, a knife or two, some carving tape and a thumbguard, and maybe a few gouges, until you can see what you like. Google Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers, Old Texas Woodcarvers, or The Woodcraft Shop and give them a call or browse their website. Here's some ideas for costs:

Glove (for the hand holding the carving) $12
    Thumbguard and carving tape (for the hand holding the knife) $5
    Shipley knife $20 or Drake knife $30 or Helvie knife $35 ......or a Stanley fixed blade utility knife with extra blades $7

Flexcut has a beginner palm and knife set with 2 knives, a v-tool and a gouge for $64 or a beginner carver craft set for $37. It comes with a dvd, a blank for carving a little boot, and three gouges that interchange on a palm handle. Flexcut tools come already sharp and are not really expensive. But don't spend several hundred dollars on a set. Buy individual tools to see what you like, what you need, and what fits your hands and style of carving best.

You can buy a strop and compound for $20-$30 or make your own by gluing leather to a board. Compound usually runs around $7

You can find a variety of books and dvds and you can also buy roughouts (carving blanks that have already been sawn and roughly shaped, ready to finish by carving the final shapes and details) or squares of basswood. I really recommend that you start with good basswood and sharp tools and you are usually better off buying them on-line than at local stores, unless there is a Woodcraft locally.

For someone starting out, I suggest sticking with the basics of a knife. A great place to start for beginers is carving figurines, and she can carve most of them with just a knife. Like you mention, it's worth the cost to spend a little extra to get a good knife. Pfeil, Butz, and Flexcut are great choices. I suggest starting with just one - it's always "easy" to buy more later. A good knife like this will run $20 to $25 each.

As mentioned by others, keeping the knife sharp is critical. Buy a good set of stones. I personally like oil stones, and Woodcraft has a nice three-piece set of Arkansas stones for $95. If not this set, be sure to get a soft stone (for general shaping) and hard stone (for honing).

To put a very fine edge, a leather strop with honing compound works great. I use an old leather belt glude to a piece of wood, and most any compound works.

As Mike mentions, a safety glove helps a lot - particularly for those inexperienced with a knife. Otherwise, keep a box of bandages handy.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone...

Havent seen her this excited about a hobby in a LONG time.

Gonna splurge a little and get her something nice to start with.
    When we decide I'll post back and let you know what she picked.

Seeing that I need to get a set of stones for my chisels,
    Is there a stone or set of stones that I can use for my chisels and her carving knives, or will any stone be ok for both?!?

Also, is there a good book or DVD that you would recommend?
    Last edited by Jon Wilson; 02-13-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Assuming the knifes and chisels have straight edges, one set of stones will work well for both. For chisels (and eventually for carving gouges), I suggest getting the 8" length stones.

When I was begining I got aWarren Tools set of carving knives and gouges at a decoy show. The gouges are small and that may be an issue for you but the knives and them take and hold a good edge. The handles are confortable (can't hit them with a mallet, though) and size of the tools make them really good for decoys and other detail work.

Not expensive for a nice starter set.